D&D General Dave Arneson: Is He Underrated, or Overrated?

aia_2

Custom title
I think that quote is key. But it points directly to the view that Arneson invented D&D and Gygax published it. Gary never would have invented D&D on his own. Dave never would have published D&D on his own. There’s a clear line between creator and publisher or popularizer. I’m glad both were involved because I got to grow up playing these games, but it’s fairly clear one man created the thing itself...while the other put it out into the world.

Sticking to what are the reported facts, Arneson had the vision of the new model, Gygax wrote it down...
Both are creators, none would have done the game alone. Then if we need to appoint one name only as the "true" creator, this is an opinion and it is subjective according to the info available, his own idea and his mindset...
It is like talking of an artist and an engineer: the artist provides fantasy, ideas and the "emotional" part... The engineer prodides the structure, the plan and its deplyoment...
It is up to everyone decide who (if one only has to be appointed) is the creator...
My opinion is towards Arneson because i am kind of "romantic" and i do see in his part the most valuable contribution.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Sticking to what are the reported facts, Arneson had the vision of the new model, Gygax wrote it down...
Both are creators, none would have done the game alone. Then if we need to appoint one name only as the "true" creator, this is an opinion and it is subjective according to the info available, his own idea and his mindset...
It is like talking of an artist and an engineer: the artist provides fantasy, ideas and the "emotional" part... The engineer prodides the structure, the plan and its deplyoment...
It is up to everyone decide who (if one only has to be appointed) is the creator...
My opinion is towards Arneson because i am kind of "romantic" and i do see in his part the most valuable contribution.
Read the history of the game. Arneson created Blackmoor. Gygax played in a game of it. Gygax asked Arneson for his notes. Arneson wrote it all out and sent those to Gygax. Gygax took those notes, changed them, then published them. Arneson was famously unhappy with the changes Gygax made without consulting Arneson. So even your first line is ahistorical.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
IMO, the same should be said for Gygax as well.

But, perhaps it is my distaste for celebrity and the idolization of others. I think they are both far too idolized. Credit where credit is due, but I'm more interested in today.
Most of us end up being our own biggest problem. We are all flawed and have the most to do with our own choices.

While I do think idolizing people is often silly, I have found some current trends an overreaction.

Gygax was flawed but his vision has shaped a huge portion of geek entertainment to the present. It’s a huge footprint. Video games, rpgs and more…

So he had periods where he got crazy with the Cheez whiz…doesn’t change it for me.

Most of us end up being our own biggest problem. We are all flawed and have the most to do with our own choices.
Absolutely. And I think this is the biggest reason behind my distaste for idolizing others.
While I do think idolizing people is often silly, I have found some current trends an overreaction.
Not sure what you mean here. But even as a teen 4 decades ago I did not idolize celebrities. I remember meeting Mickie Mantle as a kid. Did not leave an impression on me. Other 'celebrities' have had the same, lack of, response from me. It's just who I am.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Absolutely. And I think this is the biggest reason behind my distaste for idolizing others.

Not sure what you mean here. But even as a teen 4 decades ago I did not idolize celebrities. I remember meeting Mickie Mantle as a kid. Did not leave an impression on me. Other 'celebrities' have had the same, lack of, response from me. It's just who I am.
Honestly how I have been to an extent. If I met a famous actor I would say hi and say “love your movies keep it up” and move on. Or more likely leave them
The hell alone if they were minding their business!

What I mean is the current trend of finding a flaw in someone’s history and over focusing on it to the point of ignoring the good they are doing or undervaluing their contribution.

Others may have another take and that is fine. I just don’t like throwing out the baby with the bath water. We are all broken in my view.

Learning someone hurt others or were filled with hate is very disappointing though but for me that is different than the normal screw ups

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
This didn't age well over the past year.

/Googles M.A.R. Barker. . .

OH. . . NO. . .

disappointed harry potter GIF

Remove ads