• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DCC #7 The Secret of Smuggler's Cove (full)

rangerjohn

Explorer
Well Hero, with the obvious caveat I am not HM, I notice a few problems.

1. The most important being it goes agains HM's stated goals for the campaign. It is not core Pathfinder and this is to be a one shot adventure.

2. Only under the most liberal conversions could even a 6th level character qualify for the class.

3. It is heavily stat intensive and almost calls for a precongnitive ability to know what is needed, before it is needed.

4. I'm confused about the main ability of the class. It says its only available 1/day at first level, but it last 24 hrs.

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Well, to be fair, I've never actually played one, and I didn't read the parameters of the adventure, so shame on me twice.

all I can really comment on is 2 and 4...

2: you start at 5th, so you'd only be a level away. Bards qualify the easiest and earliest, of course. One feat, four skills, and human race with the Able Learner Feat (might as well make it your bonus, right) and you're sailing.

4: that 'aptitude focus' can be changed daily (ie. once every 24 hours you pick what 'mode' you're using), but at 5th level, can be changed twice a day.

This is what I hate about prestige classes - most of them are either good for early dipping, or take too long to actually enjoy. I don't see how game-wrecking it would be to allow prestige classes as core classes.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Just another self-reminder pay no attention

[sblock=Leif's character generation info]
Elf L5 Urban Druid

[Stat Point Buy Data: 2pts S12; 5 pts D14+2(race)=16; 3 pts C13-2(race)=11; 1 pt I 11+2(race)=13; 7 pts W15+1(level 4)=16; 2 pts C12]

Final Ability Scores
S 12 +1
D 16 +3
C 11 +0
I 13 +1
W 16 +3
C 12 +1
HP=8+6+6+6+6=32
AC: 22
+2 Magical Hide Armor (4,165 gp) [+6 AC]
Heavy Wooden Shield (7 gp) [+2 AC]
+1 Magical Longsword (2,315 gp)
Amulet of Natural Armor +1 (2,000 gp)
Brooch of Shielding (1,500 gp) [absorbs 101 hp damage from magic missiles]
[513 gp left to spend]

Traits:
Magical Talent: [magic trait] as a spell-like ability can cast Light once/day at CL5
Warrior of Old: [racial/elf trait] +2 trait bonus to initiative checks [total +5 on init. checks!]

Character Generation info:
- Starting Level: 5th
- Abilities: point buy (20 pts) - then agumented for race and lvl up
- Races: core only - one player may be allowed to play a merfolk based on concept and fluff
- Classes: core only - but depending on start date/release date of game/Ultimate Magic one player might be allowed to play a Magus
- Hit Points: Max at 1st lvl and Max -2 for lvls 2-5 (plus all modifiers of course)
- Feats & Traits: core/APG/AA only - may pick two traits
- Starting Wealth: 10,500gp - May spend no more than 4,000gp on any one item (exception: magic shield or armor - you may have one or the other at a cost of 4,000gp + mw value - to gain a +2 magical bonus)
- Equipment: core/APG/AA only - mounts will not be needed and will actually not be much help
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
The national news is making this out to be way worse than it really is. Memphis is a big place and the rivers only touch a small part of it. Of the million folks in the county only about a 1000 people have been forced to evacuate so far. It is a strange situation. The poorest people in the area live along the Loosahatchie river and the richest along the Wolf River. Both are getting flooded those of us in the middle are okay. A couple of my employees have had trouble, but so far we've been lucky. Things are much worse across the river on the Arkansas side. Memphis was built on a bluff that didn't flood hence the nickname Bluff City, but the other side of the river is low and lots of folks over there are flooded out. Nobody's ever heard of Marion Arkansas, so we get all the news instead.

Scotley

Hero
Would this be an appropriate and acceptable racial variant?

•Spirit of the Waters: Some elves have adapted to life in tune with the sea or along the reedy depths of wild rivers and lakes. They gain a +4 racial bonus on Swim checks, can always take 10 while swimming, and may choose Aquan as a bonus language. They are proficient with longspear, trident, and net. This racial trait replaces elven magic and weapon familiarity racial Traits.

I would choose water as the first favored terrain with this.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads