D&D 5E Definitions, please! What are Bounded Accuracy and RAW?

Gorg

Explorer
What in the name of Fizban's hairy buttocks is bounded accuracy??? I keep seeing the term, but have no idea what it means. A search turned up about 1000 more mentions of it than I cared to wade through, and that's ALL they were: mentions.

Likewise the heck is RAW?

Thanks in advance to all who respond with help!

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
"RAW" is "Rules As Written. There's also "RAI" for "Rules As Intended" and various initializations for the concept of "Rules As Played."

"Bounded Accuracy" is the term used in 5E to reflect the intent that, essentially, they didn't want the available bonuses to exceed the variability of the d20. The heart of the idea was to broaden the range of monsters that were plausible for PCs of a given level to face, but there are other knock-on effects.

Hope that helps.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
RAW = "rules as written". The text of the rules. As opposed to the spirit of the rules which is often referred to as RAI (rules as intended).

Bounded accuracy is a fancy way of saying 5E has smaller bonuses to ability checks and attacks than previous editions had (proficiency bonus). It's a bit more nuanced than that, but that's basically it - a narrower range of results from dice bonuses.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Well, I guess that explains why my fighter can't hit the side of a barn- when he's standing in it... Well, that, and my awful die rolls, lol.
In general, in 5E attack success hovers around 65% hits given the typical bonuses and ACs. 🤷‍♂️

If you're much less than that, yeah, I'd definitely blame it on the awful die rolls. ;)

dave2008

Legend
Well, I guess that explains why my fighter can't hit the side of a barn- when he's standing in it... Well, that, and my awful die rolls, lol.
Actually, in 5e it should be the opposite, that is the point of bounded accuracy (BA) as implemented in 5e. 5e is built on the idea that it is more fun to hit monsters than miss them. So the chance to hit has moved up from around 50% to 65% in 5e vs older editions of the game as @6ENow! mentioned. To compensate, things have more hit points.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases