D&D 5E Definitions, please! What are Bounded Accuracy and RAW?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Exactly. I just had that combo in my last game, Warforged Artificer powerful PC at 5th level.

House rules solve some of this. Shield is a +1 to AC for every three caster levels. No numerical bonus on any armor or shield (just cool abilities). Point buy to eliminate very high ability scores at low levels. It helps some with the AC problem.
Sounds like it helps, but there is so much more I dislike about both due to balance issues. But, not the purpose of the thread, so back to your regularly scheduled program... :)

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Orog, CR2, plate armor
Knight, CR3, plate armor,

any single of those is an easy picking for 3rd level party, even 2nd level party.

or maybe they break in into local blacksmith.
There's a reasonable possibility that someone else's plate armor won't fit you, and/or that if you kill someone for their armor, it will need repairs. The DM can still keep a party that kills a knight from blithely strapping on the knight's armor.

Horwath

Legend
There's a reasonable possibility that someone else's plate armor won't fit you, and/or that if you kill someone for their armor, it will need repairs. The DM can still keep a party that kills a knight from blithely strapping on the knight's armor.
we were talking about artificer here, mending and making that armor magical solves those problems in one short rest.

prabe

Supporter
we were talking about artificer here, mending and making that armor magical solves those problems in one short rest.
Can an artificer alter/tailor plate armor without a forge? Genuine question--I don't use them, don't know their limitations. I wouldn't expect a mending spell to work for that.

Horwath

Legend
Can an artificer alter/tailor plate armor without a forge? Genuine question--I don't use them, don't know their limitations. I wouldn't expect a mending spell to work for that.
magic armor fits your form 100%, unless enchanted to be for certain type/race.

prabe

Supporter
I've searched the 3 core books and I cant find one mention of Bounded Accuracy. Where is it, or is it just implied?
I think it's come up in blogs or interview wherein the designers have talked about the math behind the game. Couldn't point you to specifics, though.

Trying to figure the math on this one out. Fighter (1) could get Plate Armor (AC 18) and Defensive Fighting (+1 to AC) and Warforged get +1 to AC which brings us to AC 20. Artificer (1) gets... what exactly? How are we getting to AC 24 at 2nd level before spell enhancements?
A shield.

Plate and shield is AC 20.
Warforged adds 1
+1 infused shield and armor ads +2
Defence F/S is another 1.

R_J_K75

Legend
I think it's come up in blogs or interview wherein the designers have talked about themath behind the game. Couldn't point you to specifics, though.
That's what I thought. Seems as though including that in one or all of the core books would've been nice if it was a clear design feature.

Remove ads