• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deluxe Dungeon Master's Screen: It Lives!

The Deluxe Dungeon Master's Screen from WotC (as opposed to the largely unpopular Tyranny of Dragons one from Gale Force 9) is due out this month. WotC's Trevor Kidd returned to the office after the holiday break, and provided this photo which shows that the screen exists and is ready for lift-off! Plus, a shot of the interior!

The Deluxe Dungeon Master's Screen from WotC (as opposed to the largely unpopular Tyranny of Dragons one from Gale Force 9) is due out this month. WotC's Trevor Kidd returned to the office after the holiday break, and provided this photo which shows that the screen exists and is ready for lift-off! Plus, a shot of the interior!

Priced at $14.95 and releasing on January 20th -- "Manage your campaign with this indispensable Dungeon Master accessory for the world’s greatest roleplaying game. The red dragon Thraxata the Flamefiend and her kobold minions confront a party of intrepid adventurers, who protect their ranger as she attempts to finish the fight by using a legendary arrow of dragon slaying meant specifically for this red wyrm. This durable, four-panel Deluxe Dungeon Master’s Screen, lavishly adorned with illustrations inside and out, will enchant and inspire players and the Dungeon Master. Its landscape design allows the Dungeon Master to easily see beyond and reach over the screen, even as it keeps die rolls and notes hidden from players. Tables inside provide essential support for the three pillars of play–combat, exploration, and interaction–to Dungeon Masters of all skill levels."

For more D&D schedule information, look right here.

dms.jpg

2014-11-07-13.53.18.jpg

Photo from dicejockey.com

dmscreen.jpg

Photo by Luke Niedner

Vael

Legend
WotC isn't a fan of portrait screens. They prefer landscape ones that are easier to look over.

Which is definitely a mindset that I concur with. I've seen DMs with portrait screens, and it's a little too Wizard of Oz for my taste. Portrait screens let me see my players, and especially the table.

To be honest, my preferred screen would just be three portrait panels. Enough to hide adventure material, but I always roll in the open, so even the four panel screen sometimes gets in my way.

Iosue

Legend
I like the landscape orientation, but four panels is often more screen than my table can handle.

Also put me down for being in favor of a judicious amount of art on the inside of the screen. I've tried the Wall o' Tables kind of screen, and actually had trouble trying to find things. Somewhere between Nothing But Tables and the dead space of the ToD DM screen lies a happy medium. Hopefully WotC has found it.

I will say, I'm highly impressed with the layout and graphic design of 5e to date. They've managed to provide a lot of information and art in the books.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
If I remember correctly (I had a chance to check out the screen at Gamehole Con), besides the Conditions/Exhaustion reference, most of the rest of the screen was tables to help in the story-telling and narration of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I won't buy it as it stands now; I'm suggesting a way that WotC could gain another sale (or perhaps more than one if others feel the same way) potentially at a higher price.

It's just an idea -- seems like two DM tools in one product would be nice.

You would buy a screen plus adventure, but don't want the screen part? Surely it's better then to just buy an adventure?

I guess you could buy both separately at the game store and ask the clerk to put them both in the same bag. That would have much the same effort. :)

pukunui

Legend
Are the "Quick Finds" and "Something Happens" tables hiding in the DMG somewhere, or are they exclusive to this screen?
My guess would be the latter. I certainly haven't spotted them in the DMG - unless there's like a secret, hidden page I haven't found yet or something. ;)

Remove ads

Remove ads