• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deluxe Dungeon Master's Screen: It Lives!

The Deluxe Dungeon Master's Screen from WotC (as opposed to the largely unpopular Tyranny of Dragons one from Gale Force 9) is due out this month. WotC's Trevor Kidd returned to the office after the holiday break, and provided this photo which shows that the screen exists and is ready for lift-off! Plus, a shot of the interior!

The Deluxe Dungeon Master's Screen from WotC (as opposed to the largely unpopular Tyranny of Dragons one from Gale Force 9) is due out this month. WotC's Trevor Kidd returned to the office after the holiday break, and provided this photo which shows that the screen exists and is ready for lift-off! Plus, a shot of the interior!

Priced at $14.95 and releasing on January 20th -- "Manage your campaign with this indispensable Dungeon Master accessory for the world’s greatest roleplaying game. The red dragon Thraxata the Flamefiend and her kobold minions confront a party of intrepid adventurers, who protect their ranger as she attempts to finish the fight by using a legendary arrow of dragon slaying meant specifically for this red wyrm. This durable, four-panel Deluxe Dungeon Master’s Screen, lavishly adorned with illustrations inside and out, will enchant and inspire players and the Dungeon Master. Its landscape design allows the Dungeon Master to easily see beyond and reach over the screen, even as it keeps die rolls and notes hidden from players. Tables inside provide essential support for the three pillars of play–combat, exploration, and interaction–to Dungeon Masters of all skill levels."

For more D&D schedule information, look right here.

dms.jpg

2014-11-07-13.53.18.jpg

Photo from dicejockey.com

dmscreen.jpg

Photo by Luke Niedner

Nebulous

Legend
I did a Google image search and turned up an interior shot here:

http://www.dicejockey.com/2014/11/gamehole-con-day-1/

I'll be honest, I was hoping for more content on the inside. This image doesn't show the whole thing, but there's too much unused space and I'm not seeing many of the tables I'd hoped for. The art is gorgeous, but I'd like something with a bit more utility. I've seen fan-made 5E DM screens do it better, tbh.

(I do like the "Something Happens!" table in that shot a lot, though.)

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately, i have to agree with you. The coolest thing there is the Something Happens table. I don't know if I really need to spend any money on this product.

Jack Abrasion

First Post
Man you guys are a tough crowd. You see almost half the screen and you're ready to crap on the whole thing because it's not crammed with info you'll never find because a wall of text is an eyesore.

As for me, I'll be at thalmin's store Friday after work.

Wolfskin

Explorer
This will probably be the first DM Screen I actually use at the gaming table, since I hate clutter and would rather have a decent amount of useful tables than lots of information I'll seldom need getting in the way.

Guyanthalas

First Post
I actually really enjoy the back and forth on the Art vs. Info. Its shows an interesting diversity of the community and what we each want. :)

Thinking from a practical perspective, I feel that the way they did the screen was the best combination. You always want new players to embrace the D&D community, and I think a DM Screen is a good purchase for a lot of newbie DM's. Giant walls of text are very scary and imposing. The art breaks it up nicely and evokes a friendly feeling (or as friendly as a picture of someone being trapped in a giant spider web can be).

I think the seasoned DM's have every right to want less art and more tables, but your battle experience has taught you that over time and you are not afraid of the AD&D wall of text.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Look at the tables in the back of the DMG and start listing the ones out, that you would use as a DM. From that list we will be able to tell more about it when it comes out and we can compare it.

Remove ads

Remove ads