Demon Killer

SolidSnake

First Post
I have recently been allowed to take off my DM mantle for a while and allowed to be a PC for a change. The guy running the new game hasn't given me much, but has told me that our party is in an all out war with demons invading the world. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on which character classes and feats to take (there are no restriction on which books to you can use).

There were really two things that instantly popped into my head:

Paladin 8/Knight of the Chalice 1 (turning demons is fun)
Ranger 7/Foe Hunter 2 (obvious...I know)

Then, of course, there is always the Monk 9 with Vow of Poverty...any ideas?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Nevermind...

Anyway, from S&SS/Scarred Lands, I'd DEFINATELY go Silver Knight. Mostly because you can take it at 6th level (last I check) and you can get Virtue feats from PG: Paladins and Monks. (Which are WAY better than Divine feats.)

Or you can go monk and choose Monk of the Order of Silver (there's Pr-class about it) which allows you to take two favored enemies as part of the class.

Also might want to get a Silver enchanted weapon from Book of Hallowed Might. They're pretty sweet.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'd recommend straight ranger. The favoured enemy of eventually up to +10 against evil outsiders is hard to beat :)

The one potential variation is to take four levels of Paladin first (to get fear immunity and bless weapon) and then go ranger the rest of the way (to get up to +8 damage against evil outsiders).

That's my recommendation. The holy warrior who starts concentrating on how to take the war to the fiends.

Cheers

Junkheap

First Post
Paladin 4/Cleric 4/Fist of Raziel 10/Whatever else

You advance spellcasting for cleric through Fist of Raziel
Your smiting damage advances from fist of raziel as they were Pal levels
All weapons weilded by the character are treated as holy at 10th lvl FoR
You get more smiting attempts from FoR
Take the 4th lvl substition for Pal from Planar Handbook(give up turning for smiting outsiders, and it stacks with smite evil)

With this you get amazing saves, advance as a paladin where you need it(smiting), A very good backup spellcaster, Good melee warrior. With this you arent really concentrating on demons(except for the paladin substitution), but everything in general, but you will do a lot of damage against them either way. And then for the remaining 3 levels i guess go for the Knight of the chalice. Needs decent abilities tho.

Patlin

Explorer
I wouldn't worry about which class overly much, most could be made into effective demon killers. Instead, look for something fun you haven't tried in a while. Possibly a prestige class you find interesting, but most of the core classes alone will also do well. Here are my top 3 ideas, just for kicks:

Mounted Ranger, riding Animal companion. Take the archery combat style but emphasize the lance as your primary melee weapon. Go for feats like spirited charge and mounted archery. Possibly small in size, so you can get a mount that is more able to fit into tight spaces, such as a riding dog. That favored enemy bonus can really add up, especially if doubled by spirited charge or helped out by rapid shot.

Arcane Trickster. Demons are succeptable to sneak attacks, after all...

Cleric. Who's more apropriate to be standing against the forces of hell than god's own strong right hand?

Remove ads