• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Demonic Lore II

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well they probably are more popular than some under dark gods. But given the lack of numbers (deitific wise) on that note, I doubt any will miss the drow panethon. They certainly don't get invited to any parties! ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Ripzerai said:
From a source you mentioned earlier: Holian, Gary. "The Death Knights of Oerth." Dragon #290 (Paizo Publishing, Dec 2001).

Doesn't that sound like the Apocalypse Beast from Armies of the Abyss?

Ripzerai

Explorer
Shade said:
Doesn't that sound like the Apocalypse Beast from Armies of the Abyss?

Yes, although I think the author said the actual inspiration was the monster on the cover of the 1e Manual of the Planes (which became the astral dreadnought).

The execution ended up pretty different from the astral dreadnought, but it's in tune with the spirit of Jeff Easley's art.

Garnfellow

Explorer
I didn't see it in this thread, but here's one of my favorite obscure demon-lords: Sha-Hec'urah.

The original dungeon geomorph sets (from WAAAAAY back in the day) were broken into three different sets -- low level, caves and caverns, high level dungeons. Each set had a page or so of sample encounters. When the sets were compiled into a single package, only the sample set from the low-level dungeon was included, even though there was some very interesting stuff in the other sets.

Courtesy of Grodog, here's the lost text: http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_geomorphs.html#geo2

sckeener

First Post
Garnfellow said:
I didn't see it in this thread, but here's one of my favorite obscure demon-lords: Sha-Hec'urah.

The original dungeon geomorph sets (from WAAAAAY back in the day) were broken into three different sets -- low level, caves and caverns, high level dungeons. Each set had a page or so of sample encounters. When the sets were compiled into a single package, only the sample set from the low-level dungeon was included, even though there was some very interesting stuff in the other sets.

Courtesy of Grodog, here's the lost text: http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh_geomorphs.html#geo2

I didn't see him on the Demon Lord Wiki....someone should add him

though from the text it is hard to tell if he is a Demon lord or just a named demon being worshiped.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Sckneer,

Some times there's not much of a difference other than a) some demon princes/lords can "ascend" to lesser god status.

Anyway good find.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Garnfellow said:

why didn't grodog tell me about that one! :p are you sure that's an actual demon lord?

Garnfellow

Explorer
BOZ said:
why didn't grodog tell me about that one! :p are you sure that's an actual demon lord?
My Abyssal contacts assure me he is a prince.

More seriously, since that fragment is the ONLY reference, I'm inferring he's a prince based on 1. he's named, which means he's at least a "major" demon*, 2. he has a shrine, 3. he has a minor artifact and associated servant, 4. he will appear before you if you aren't careful, and 5. his name is too cool to belong to a non-unique.

* 1e sources varied on the details (and I am w-a-a-y out of practice) but there was a distinction between lesser sorts of demons (types i-iii) who did not have individual names and greater sorts (types iv-vi, princes) which did. Depending on order made a difference in terms of what summoning device you used and (I think) what happens when you kill the demon. I think the lesser sorts were gone-gone, while the greater were just banished to the abyss for a period of time.

RainOfSteel

Explorer
I don't think this reference has appeared in the topic so far.

Demogorgon has also made an appearance on Krynn in the short story, A Stone's Throw Away, by Roger E. Moore. Originally appearing in Dragon Magazine (issue 85, I think), and then being republished in DragonLance Tales Vol 1.: The Magic of Krynn.

Remove ads