D&D (2024) Developer Video on Druid/Paladin/Expert Feedback

WotC has posted a video discussing initial feedback on the One D&D Druid/Paladin playtest, along with survey results from the Expert playtest. Some highlights for discussion:

Druid: The developers recognize that the template version of wild shape is contentious. If they retain this approach, they would plan to add flexibility to those templates. If they revert to monster stat blocks, they might allow Druids to choose a limited number of options, with a default selection provided.

Paladin: The new version of smite is still intended to work with critical hits. If ranged smite persists, its damage may be adjusted through the internal balance/playtesting process.

Ranger: The updated Ranger scored very well in the playtest. Some players did miss the choice of options in the Hunter subclass.

Bard: All of the Lore Bard's features scored welll, but the overall subclass rating was mediocre. They attribute this to the loss of Additional Magical Secrets, which many saw as the key attraction of this subclass.

Rogue: The change to limit sneak attack to the Rogue's own turn scored poorly. The developers generally like moving actions to a player's own turn to keep the game moving quickly, but in this case, the change doesn't seem to be worth the loss of tactical flexibility.

Feats: With the exception of epic boons, all the feats in the Expert packet scored well. The developers are still loking at written feedback for fine tuning.

Conspicuously not mentioned were the Arcane/Divine/Primal spell lists, which were the focus of a lot of discussion during the Bard playtest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Yeah, those kinds of quirks and hang-ups should really be character-based, not class-based or race(species)-based. After all, that's what the BIFTs section of the character sheet is for.
Not that the BIFTs has ever really been a popular or commonly used add-on to the game.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
Not that the BIFTs has ever really been a popular or commonly used add-on to the game.
They're there for the players to use. If the players choose not to use them . . . well, you can lead a horse to water . . .

It's just like Inspiration: it's right there in Chapter 4 of the PHB. Not every tables uses them, but they've been made available.

It's interesting that 1DD seems to be trying to get people to use Inspiration more, but, based on the Backgrounds they've released thus far, they look like they're doing away with the BIFTs. I find them to be helpful in the roleplaying aspect of the game which can often lag behind the combat aspect.

Remathilis

Legend
I don't see the need to codify them. There's nothing wrong with making a character and roleplaying all of that.
For some players, it helps to have that stuff written down, using examples they can choose from. I found BIFTs were good hand-holding for young, new, or shy players.

Apparently WotC agrees with you though, as BIFTs have been sunsetted in recent products. The last one to have them was Witchlight.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
For some players, it helps to have that stuff written down, using examples they can choose from. I found BIFTs were good hand-holding for young, new, or shy players.

Apparently WotC agrees with you though, as BIFTs have been sunsetted in recent products. The last one to have them was Witchlight.
Yeah, WotC and I were bound to agree on something eventually. That kind of hand-holding is, to me, too narrative for D&D.

Either WotC or myself is the stopped clock, and I'm pretty sure it's me.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases