D&D 4E Developing a full Martial Controller Monk Via Feats / Build

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I suppose one could go with martial throws being a starting assumption any time an enemy misses you with an attack they may become prone if you are in the right stance or jacky chan style generating damage against enemies using their allies attacks a whole nother way to riposte.
Kind of like white lotus riposte with an utterly different style... and even a more controllery one than pure damage.

Attack the monk he tosses you for a loop... or diverts the attack into your allies.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The precedent we have within the ranger class though for melee vs probably not melee is the 5/10/15 hit points from the toughness feat, Archer ranger gets a defensive mobility feat +2 AC vs opportunity attacks... and doesnt get that toughness.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Hm. I had either never noticed or completely forgotten that detail.
The druid and the monk already have the same hit points and healing surges... and the I turn in to a beast to pounce in and fight is already there. I think its participates in melee that does it.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Like I mentioned, Primal is just hp-boosted, across the board.
Sure but how does that controller manifest that... with at-wills that are stick my neck out grasping claws and pounce and various beast form powers... if your battlefield techniques put you in the thick of it most of the time you have hit points. From what I understand the monk currently its very easy to to stick your neck out and get it lopped off they are along ways from flush with too much health.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think if a controller build has its own Way of the Gentle/Grasping? Hand avoids using Con it will be fine as a build of the existant Monk.

Tony Vargas

Legend
So, if more hps are OK, due to melee/mobility orientation, and tweaking Flurry of Blows easily takes it from striker role-support to controller role-support, that's a good start.

You already posted pressure points.

I like the idea of throws. Maybe you could do a throw (on the target) or a flurry of blows?

Oh, and throws could advance...

Prone.

Prone + condition.

Prone + hold/lock, cannot stand/other conditions that last until you escape.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Me too... Though I kind of like firing it off when the enemy misses.
Or as an interrupt, like Wizard's Escape or Repelling Shield. Controller get to be prickly, sometimes.
You could have both.

At-will throws that act as controller support, layering added control onto hits.
Encounter defensive throws that foil attacks and give the Monk a chance to get outta Dodge(pi)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases