D&D 4E Developing a full Martial Controller Monk Via Feats / Build

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
White lotus riposte being prickly if you are using arcane at-wills anyway.... I know likely only at lower levels or a tough day ... Precedent for prickly by way of feat anyway

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Oh, and throws could advance...

Prone.

Prone + condition.

Prone + hold/lock, cannot stand/other conditions that last until you escape.
Indeed heroic is pone... immobilized is your lock ofcourse... but smashes enemy head into the wall == dazed and other conditions.

The basic knockdown could still get an attribute damage like wisdom bonus.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Not as easy as a secondary Intelligence build for the fighter but still pretty doable without heavy heavy lifting perhaps.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I was kind of thinking we make the Way of the Gentle Hand include the Martial Takedown stance instead of a flury but you sounded like you were thinking in addition to? But just defang the flurry. The Way of the Gentle hand becomes a modifier for the other Monk Traditions then? Like how certain feats change a bunch of different powers. (Cruel Cut Style is kind of the opposite for a fighter - with cross class impact)

@Tony Vargas

I suppose we do need to have the Flurry as a source of additional enemies to be affected by other abilities (like the pressure points) - this becomes a tactical choice do I drop into the Takedown stance or do I Flurry

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
@Garthanos

While you are designing the Monk.

Maybe also tweak the official Monk?

Basically, too many specific features are baked into the base class, leaving little or no room to flesh out different kinds of subclasses.

For example, I would like to see a Brawler as a martial Monk archetype, that fights weaponless or with improvised weapons. Basically a combination of bar fighter and mixed-martial-arts fighter, with some athletic stunts in the mix. Heh, this is definitely a nonmystical kind of Monk.

And so on.

A cleaner base, would make more room for other Monk archetypes.

Remove ads