ZEITGEIST Discoveries from the playtest of the ZEITGEIST setting book intro adventure

Tonight I ran the first session of the ZEITGEIST setting book's intro adventure, Death of the Author.

Aside from being my first time ever using Zoom to run a game, and my first time ever to use Roll20 as either player or GM, I learned some things about the rules we have in the book.

MaliceLands_alt_-_Herman_Lau.jpg

Illus by Herman Lau

1. Shotguns with bayonets are possible, and Elfaivaran monks love them. Or not. This might be our first change due to the playtest. Right now bayonets have no drawback other than costing a couple GP more than having two separate weapons, but they let you swap weapons more easily. I think it's probably fine mechanically.

2. People aren't remembering their character theme abilities. Right now we give out themes like Courseur, Sophist, and Telemachian (only one of which is new as of this book - the others are just renamed) as extra abilities at 1st level. The design intent is that they're about as powerful as a feat, though they mostly just improve versatility, not raw power. The PCs referenced them in roleplaying, but only one used his in the first session. And he discovered that I hadn't actually written that sophists can only use their aura of belief once per short rest, so he had planned to toggle it on and off as needed, which is I think too good.

3. Monster abilities need to take into account guns. In their battle against a malice strider, our dragonborn bureaucrat warned the rest of the party in advance not to get close, lest the emotivore overwhelm them with psychic compulsions. When they started assaulting it from afar with firearms, I spontaneously decided to give it a reaction to let it affect one attacker each round with its aura of fury, even if the person is outside the aura's radius. I was worried otherwise it'd never get a chance to make a melee attack against anyone.

Malice_Strider_-_Rafael_Benjamin.jpg

Illus by Rafael Benjamin

4. Every assumes zones should be auras. We had a malice beast with an aura, and a dwarf evolutionary biologist with an aura, so when the enclave noble declared their domain, everyone assumed it'd be a 20-ft. radius circle, instead of a 20-ft. cube. The confusion and potential retconning as people planned their actions on getting into the zone's defenses (to hide from the malice beast) makes me wonder if I should just make it be a circle centered on the noble.

5. Devas might be highlanders now. Since the Great Eclipse, whenever a deva dies there's only a one-in-three chance they reincarnate, and no one's quite sure why. The player with a deva PC suggested that maybe some devas are going around killing each other and gathering the divine power in their victims, because ultimately there can be only one. I might do some quick rewrites to hint at this silliness without making it explicit.

6. One player clearly didn't pay attention to the setting section I sent out. When a player introduced his Elfaivaran elf as having blond hair and blue eyes, I regretted not including some portraits from the adventure path. Then again, she'd been undercover with the Kuchnost in Drakr, so having a disguise and a fuzzy memory isn't that unreasonable.

7. The name von Recklinghausen is very memorable. Two of my friends played in the AP something like six years ago, but they still recognize that name. One was a gnoll war vet, so I might even have had him be treated by the good doctor many years ago. They haven't reached the manor yet, though. That comes next week.

Last edited:

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
Shotgun bayonets are a real thing, they were fitted to Trench Shotguns in WW1 , and I think the limited number of military shotguns still had fixtures for bayonets for many years even if like the bayonets on rifles they are almost never used as weapons.

hirou

Explorer
Is there a way to access this adventure or this is a closed beta-test thing?

Re: point 3. What are the rules for firearms in new version? In vanilla 5e longbows already have a range of 150/600, few monsters actually have a non-magical answer for a mounted ranger at a vast open field

efreund

Explorer
Is there a way to access this adventure or this is a closed beta-test thing?
My thoughts exactly!

Also, loving the header-art for the Malice Lands.

To your point #2, I found the same thing happening in my regular ZG games. The theme drove the RP, but the powers weren't really used. But then they took the PrCs, and they then used those powers. (I play PF.)

And to point #3: yea, we have a Gunsmith in our party now. We just wrapped adventure 6, most of which takes outdoors, and much of it is against 'monsters'. It was laughably easy. Just find a high spot and annihilate them dinos from range.

Are the Malice Lands still malice-y post the Great Eclipse?
Also, during the Great Eclipse, Devas didn't reincarnate at all. What about the new system is making that work again?

Lylandra

Adventurer
5. Devas might be highlanders now. Since the Great Eclipse, whenever a deva dies there's only a one-in-three chance they reincarnate, and no one's quite sure why. The player with a deva PC suggested that maybe some devas are going around killing each other and gathering the divine power in their victims, because ultimately there can be only one. I might do some quick rewrites to hint at this silliness without making it explicit.

6. One player clearly didn't pay attention to the setting section I sent out. When a player introduced his Elfaivaran elf as having blond hair and blue eyes, I regretted not including some portraits from the adventure path. Then again, she'd been undercover with the Kuchnost in Drakr, so having a disguise and a fuzzy memory isn't that unreasonable.

7. The name von Recklinghausen is very memorable. Two of my friends played in the AP something like six years ago, but they still recognize that name. One was a gnoll war vet, so I might even have had him be treated by the good doctor many years ago. They haven't reached the manor yet, though. That comes next week.

That #5... totally happened in our ZG campaign! But for us, it only made sense before the events on Ascetia and the great rebirth.
#6 is totally a Shahalesti descendant... or maybe the player got inspired by Voltron's Allura ;)
#7 oooh yes baby <3

Falkus

Explorer

I can safely say von Recklinghausen may well be the greatest NPC name I have seen in a module in my entire life.

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
I like the idea of the essense of Governor Stansfield hunting down Deva's and killing them for their spark of immortality so he can rebuild himself and RULE TEH WORLD

MarkM

Explorer
I'm glad you are running the adventure in an online tabletop format. That should give you a really good sense of what add-ons might be greatly appreciated by those of us whose gaming groups aren't local. The big one is player versions of the maps that can be used online -- where the number key, secret doors, marked locations of lairs, etc. aren't marked on the map and could be added on a GM/token layer. It is easy to add things to maps, but hard to take them away without it being obvious that something was there. Electronic maps and art/tokens with GM and player versions would be the first think I'd look for in a kickstarter add-on or extra purchase.

Tormyr

Adventurer
I'm glad you are running the adventure in an online tabletop format. That should give you a really good sense of what add-ons might be greatly appreciated by those of us whose gaming groups aren't local. The big one is player versions of the maps that can be used online -- where the number key, secret doors, marked locations of lairs, etc. aren't marked on the map and could be added on a GM/token layer. It is easy to add things to maps, but hard to take them away without it being obvious that something was there. Electronic maps and art/tokens with GM and player versions would be the first think I'd look for in a kickstarter add-on or extra purchase.

That is a great point for any future products from EN Publishing, not just this one.

Because many of the War of the Burning Sky and Zeitgeist adventure path maps that are available to me as I prep the Roll20 versions are only available as a .tiff or .jpg, it has meant a lot of time scrubbing maps for the online version. Especially time consuming is when an "S" for a secret door needs to be scrubbed. Afterwards, numbered tokens are placed on the GM layer so the GM can still track where everything is. The results are not exactly like the original, but nothing stands out for the most part.

1601150308004.png
1601150362537.png

But the original War of the Burning Sky and Zeitgeist adventure paths were released before VTT was really mainstream. Now with VTT being so important, it is relatively easy to tell the cartographer to export a few extra copies of the maps at 72dpi and dimensions optimized for the VTT, with numbered and unnumbered versions.

Remove ads