• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Discussion - General Discussion Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patlin

Explorer
OK, that makes sense. So you can put in 8 hours of crafting, adventure for a few days, and then put in another 8 hours of crafting to complete your two day item. By extension, if you are in the midst of crafting and are interrupted, you make no progress for that day but suffer no other penalty.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
OK, that makes sense. So you can put in 8 hours of crafting, adventure for a few days, and then put in another 8 hours of crafting to complete your two day item. By extension, if you are in the midst of crafting and are interrupted, you make no progress for that day but suffer no other penalty.
Bingo.

Basically, any day with significant downtime (true of most traveling days on horses) contributes towards the completion of the item. The cost is paid up front, however, so it behooves the character to finish it swiftly if possible.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Okay, so it is possible to do (though I'll still make sure the DM doesn't object before doing anything, assuming I can afford to do anything at this point due to funds). But wouldn't the Craft Point system invalidate the 8 consecutive hours per day? I thought the whole point of that system was to say the the PC worked on the item 'a little here and a little there' until it was suddenly done one day?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Phoenix8008 said:
Okay, so it is possible to do (though I'll still make sure the DM doesn't object before doing anything, assuming I can afford to do anything at this point due to funds). But wouldn't the Craft Point system invalidate the 8 consecutive hours per day? I thought the whole point of that system was to say the the PC worked on the item 'a little here and a little there' until it was suddenly done one day?
No. The two of them are separate and completely distinct. You don't spend Craft Points to make items during the actual adventure, you just do it. Craft Points are for instanteous handwavy creations after the adventure and represent, in a hazy sense, the time spent in downtime at the RDI.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
No. The two of them are separate and completely distinct. You don't spend Craft Points to make items during the actual adventure, you just do it. Craft Points are for instanteous handwavy creations after the adventure and represent, in a hazy sense, the time spent in downtime at the RDI.
Oh, I just realised that Kurghaz probably cannot craft the wondrous item because
To create a wondrous item, a character usually needs some sort of equipment or tools to work on the item. She also needs a supply of materials, the most obvious being the item itself or the pieces of the item to be assembled. The cost for the materials is subsumed in the cost for creating the item.
and there probably are not any materials in the middle of the desert. Other than materials (or vindictively interrupting the PC every day or something), you don't need GM approval to craft a standard PH item with a feat you have during in-adventure downtime. You can just do it (asking is always polite though).

Phoenix8008

First Post
Hmmm...he couldn't use regular materials that he's already got? I mean it's not like he's crafting a weapon that has to be Masterwork before enchanting it. Can't take a regular belt and enchant it to be a Belt of Giant Strength? Can't turn his horned helmet into a Helm of Comprehend Languages and Read Magic? Anyway, it's pretty much a moot point right now since I don't have the funds to pay half the market price for any item I'd want to make.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Phoenix8008 said:
Hmmm...he couldn't use regular materials that he's already got? I mean it's not like he's crafting a weapon that has to be Masterwork before enchanting it. Can't take a regular belt and enchant it to be a Belt of Giant Strength? Can't turn his horned helmet into a Helm of Comprehend Languages and Read Magic? Anyway, it's pretty much a moot point right now since I don't have the funds to pay half the market price for any item I'd want to make.
Ah, yes. You do need to have the funds and pay them at the onset. But no, crafting the item is assumed to use magical reagents and expensive components (that's pretty much the whole price of the 1/2 price you pay. So a Belt of Giant's Strength might be tempered in Giant's Blood, or be crafted from the fingerbones of a titan, or feature a gem associated with power or strength. If the PCs find gems and they want to craft, I'll let them use the gems they found as crafting components if they give me a good explanation, and otherwise they can just buy them in town (so yeah, Helatia should work). I don't remember how much money Lasair has left, but you can always ask Lasair for money.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Solange said:
The party funds will be split again once they arrive in town. There's close to 200 gold apiece there.
But not enough to make a BoGS. Lasair does have a little less than 2000 gold on her in platinum, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads