• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Discussion - General Discussion Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlagMortar

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Hmm, it's an interesting thought, but that doesn't really cover what seems to be by far the most common usage of GM credits--during an adventure spending 1 or 2 when the PC is just baaaaarely below the next level after a big XP haul in order to make the level.
I would explain that as an encounter that occurred before the start of the current adventure, or at some point during that adventure where the other PCs were not involved for some reason.

Rystil Arden said:
But since XP can be used as a currency in magic items and spells, I don't think we need to look at it as purely adventures completed. Certainly Zaeryl specifically views it as power, memory, and mental capacity recovered from what he has lost.
It is only ever spent on those things, never gained from them as far as I know.

Rystil Arden said:
Of course, if you must phrase it as 'an adventure', you could even think of it as the PC of the player spending the credit gives Zaeryl an awesome tip of where to find a good adventure, and Zaeryl pays for the privilege.
I do like that a little better, though I still find it a bit of a stretch.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Well, I am getting rid of a feat I never used, aren't I? ;)

Regarding the skill points, assuming my files are correct, the majority of the cc skill ranks were bought from level 1 to 3 (and I can't re-allocate the level 3 skill points if I don't want to get stuck with half-ranks). There are only 6 skill points that were put into cc skills after that. I suppose I could see if I can switch around skill points, though.
If you have 250 or 500 more gold, you can grab one or both of the last two levels of PsyRef. Better to do it now when you've already paid for PsyRef up to level 3 and the last two are really cheap. I'm sure one of the other TCotM PCs will let you borrow if it's close.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
*Points up*
My math might be a bit rusty, but I don't think 18 gp and spare change counts as close. :p
Well, 250 or 500 isn't too much, I'd say, or you could spend a GM credit if you like to reduce the price by 1050 gold, so you'd get the last two levels and get 550 GP back too. But if you're fine without it, that's perfectly cool too. I dunno, it just seems like a waste to get so close and then not save all those points.

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Oh, and are you sure you don't want to switch around skill points? Looking at the way you assigned them, you could save a massive amount of SP by just taking Diplomacy, Bluff, and Sense Motive during the Human Paragon levels. In fact, that saves you 12 points, which would more than cover switching away Open Mind for something else ;)
Turns out that the whole discussion on skill points may be moot anyway - I don't think the wording of Psychic Reformation supports changing the paragon skill list, so I could only save things on Bluff.

And where am I supposed to have gotten a GM credit in the last two hours, exactly? :p (I know, I need to make haste on those adventure summaries.)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Turns out that the whole discussion on skill points may be moot anyway - I don't think the wording of Psychic Reformation supports changing the paragon skill list, so I could only save things on Bluff.

And where am I supposed to have gotten a GM credit in the last two hours, exactly? :p (I know, I need to make haste on those adventure summaries.)
Ohhhh, you didn't pick those two as class skills for Paragon. Ah, then never mind ;)

Knight Otu

First Post
I know, I know, I suck at character optimization. :uhoh: :p Anyway, unless this discussion totally distracted me, everything should be accounted for in the sheet.

Solange

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Hu wha? I don't think I've been sleep-posting, but I'm rather at a loss where I have something even remotely like this (especially in light of proposals that have been revisited, like craft points and the leadership changes). I admittedly was ignorant of the extend of LAOs brokenness and our ability to reach high ability scores, but I wasn't dead-set against changing LAO as far as I recall, and I notified someone who took the feat that it might get changed when I was still a character judge.
Maybe it was another judge?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Solange said:
Maybe it was another judge?
I just rechecked the thread and it was actually no one who said that (KO2 said he didn't want us to change core feats like Dodge though). I'm certainly willing to entertain an amendment to LAO to make it not give +2 AC for one feat if someone wants to propose it. We'll need to let people who took that feat retcon it if we do.

Velmont

First Post
Knight Otu said:
I know, I know, I suck at character optimization. :uhoh: :p Anyway, unless this discussion totally distracted me, everything should be accounted for in the sheet.

Bah, who cares of character optimization? You think I have tried to optmize Rinaldo (with hsi negotiator feat, Profession (merchant) maxed) or worst, Opale (barred school: Evocation and Necromancy, what a combat magus she does). Even Ridik, with his two domain, I have pretty sucky domain spell at first and second level. It's start to get better at 3rd and higher. But all of them are just interesting to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads