Disney Buys DC: Who Joins The MCU?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Does the LSH pseudo school of magic vibe count as shared origin?
Damn, I completely forgot the LSH, who are 100% DC's premier created-as-a-team (plus a few crossover characters) team. The futuristic Guardians of the Galaxy (not the ones in the MCU) are embarrassingly dumb, so there's definitely space for them in the Marvel Universe. Tonally, they're pretty different, but put a few good Spider-Man writers on the job (not Bendis, who made a weird mess of the LSH) and it should be good.
Would Constantine be too dark?
No. He'd fit in very well in the MCU, interacting with street-level Marvel characters. He shouldn't be hanging with Stephen Strange, but folks more on the level of Blade. And, of course, crapping all over the British monarchy, as per usual.

But no New 52 magic laser beams from his hands. That was embarrassing for all involved.

Kaodi

Hero
I actually think the right call is Wonder Woman. The MCU doesn't really have a female character of that physical power level, and I think she would interact really interestingly with Wakanda, Atlantis and Thor. It would be really cool to see. I don't mind Gal Gadot as WW, but I would be inclined to find a fresh face -- and definitely a lady with my physical presence (ie muscle) than Gadot.

Alternatively perhaps you could add Power Girl since she is already by definition an odd one out on the main DC Earth.

Given the restrictions of the OP, there's really only choice that makes any sense to rip out of DC and plug into the MCU without any of the rest of the DC legacy to go with it:

Major Bummer

No, I'm serious. The comic was (despite DC insisting the creators do otherwise) never more than marginally connected to the broader DC setting, so you lose nothing by amputating all that. There's an entire roster of heroes and villains that fall nicely under the "shared origin" requirement, so you can use everything in the fifteen issues the series got. There are enough memorable characters to fill but not overfill a movie and even a few sequels, or a streaming series for a few seasons before you have to invent anything. Yes, it's a snarky comedy parody deconstruction of superhero tropes, but how does that not fit in the MCU at this point? Get a good actor for Lou and you've got another potential Deadpool that doesn't require viewers to know jack about either Marvel or DC characters so perfect as an entry point. The whole package is as self-contained as you want it to be. If it takes off you can start the tie-ins with the sequels/second season. If not, you haven't tainted any other Marvel IPs by associating them with it. As low-risk as it gets, and we all know how much Hollywood is afraid of risk.

Plus you get Tyrannosaurus Reich the Nazi Dinosaur to use for future movies with Captain America.

There's no better option under the limitations we're stuck with here.

Kaodi

Hero
I always think of her as a Superman supporting cast character.
I cannot see Superman or Wonder Woman fitting into the MCU seamlessly though. Despite each being their own character they belong in their established milieu. Power Girl is not a natural part of that milieu though, and I think that affords her an opportunity to "fit in" in a way Superman or Wonder Woman would not.

Reynard

Legend
I cannot see Superman or Wonder Woman fitting into the MCU seamlessly though. Despite each being their own character they belong in their established milieu. Power Girl is not a natural part of that milieu though, and I think that affords her an opportunity to "fit in" in a way Superman or Wonder Woman would not.
I don't think WW contradicts anything in the MCU. The comics MU is lousy with lost civilizations. WW showing up would fit right in.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I don't think WW contradicts anything in the MCU. The comics MU is lousy with lost civilizations. WW showing up would fit right in.

Well, no problems in the MCU... in the comics:
1712717992529.png

Remove ads