• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[DIY] Area of Effect Markers for Battlemats (Free and Easy)

weem

First Post
Hey all,

My wife and I are currently nearing the end of the process of buying a new home (we move in August 29th). So as you might guess, that meant many visits to places like Home Depot.

Anyway, I was looking through paint samples and of course D&D came to mind. In our games, we usually use markers (pens) to draw out area of effect... areas (I draw the corners of these areas usually). In my friend's campaign he bought transparencies and cut them to shape... but those cost money of course and are flimsy. BUT, these paint samples are FREE! (I suppose that's debatable as they would not let me take ALL of them I'm sure - but they encourage you to take as much as you want - they get boxes sent to them and dish them out without a care). Anyway, you only need a few of each color you may want...

step1.jpg

So I figured I would grab a few of a bunch of different colors to cut up into area markers... 1) they come in tons of colors, 2) they are free, 3) they are sturdy cardstock material and 4) did I mention they are free already?

So yea, mark em up with a ruler and pen with 1" squares and cut em out to the size you want (1x1, 2x2, 3x3)...

step3.jpg

And that's about it, you are good to go!

step4.jpg

Last edited:

Nytmare

David Jose
Ooo! Clever use of pretty, free things!

I used transparencies for a good long time, but got tired of having to reach around under them for chits when they were on top, or having to readjust everything that was on top of them when they were underneath and moved.

What I ended up doing was giving each of my players a bunch of those clear bingo chips (each player has their own color for all their props) that they then use to keep track of where their conjurations, or zones, or effects were. For zones, instead of filling up the entire square, and adding to the already sizable number of game bits and pieces that exist on a 4E battlemat, we just mark the corners of the effect. This had the added bonus of only needing 4 chips to be able to describe any size zone.

If you end up deciding that these are problems for you too, you could convert everything to the 1" squares you're already using, or even make little L shaped chits to more clearly show where each zone is.

OakwoodDM

First Post
Ooo! Clever use of pretty, free things!

I used transparencies for a good long time, but got tired of having to reach around under them for chits when they were on top, or having to readjust everything that was on top of them when they were underneath and moved.

I agree, very clever use of free stuff.

What I've done for AoE markers (and this only works for certain sizes) is recycle the boards that my Dungeon Tiles popped out of. By cutting the appropriate places, I have created 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6 and 8x8 square frames, which I can plop down on the battlemat without having to work around miniatures.
I haven't used them yet, and you do have to want the Dungeon Tiles for it to be worth it, but I think it could help my group deal with most burst and blast sizes (the one I'm missing that would be useful is a Burst 3 (7x7) frame).

weem

First Post

What I've done for AoE markers (and this only works for certain sizes) is recycle the boards that my Dungeon Tiles popped out of. By cutting the appropriate places, I have created 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6 and 8x8 square frames, which I can plop down on the battlemat without having to work around miniatures.
I haven't used them yet, and you do have to want the Dungeon Tiles for it to be worth it, but I think it could help my group deal with most burst and blast sizes (the one I'm missing that would be useful is a Burst 3 (7x7) frame).

That's a good idea. I don't own any dungeon tiles yet, but do intend on getting some (didnt have the room to be storing more than I already am but my wife and I just bought our first house - let's here it for a room dedicated entirely to D&D!).

Pbartender

First Post

The other option is to take an old wire coat hanger, cut it to length and bend it into a square of appropriate size.

Sporemine

First Post
This is a GREAT idea. Free things to make a highly needed thing in D&D. Great job. Why didn't I think of this?

Kudos

-Sporemine

weem

First Post
pbartender said...
The other option is to take an old wire coat hanger, cut it to length and bend it into a square of appropriate size.

I have seen these before (or items that look like bent coat hangers though they may not have been) - I should do this as I think I have a few laying around ;) Good idea

Sporemine said
This is a GREAT idea. Free things to make a highly needed thing in D&D. Great job. Why didn't I think of this?

Because you weren't standing in front of paint samples forever while your mind was full of all things D&D, hehe.

Pbartender

First Post
pbartender said...

I have seen these before (or items that look like bent coat hangers though they may not have been) - I should do this as I think I have a few laying around ;) Good idea

Another one we've started using...

Just pop off those little plastic "freshness seal" rings from plastic bottles: soda bottles, juice bottles, milk jugs, whatever. If you look a bit, they come in tons of different colors, and they generally come in two sizes -- roughly one inch and about two inches.

They're great for marking small effects, or for marking conditions. We've got a load of red ones that we got from Coke bottles and use for denoting bloodied creatures... Just hang them around the mini's neck, or let it slip down around the base.

im_robertb

First Post
Another one we've started using...

Just pop off those little plastic "freshness seal" rings from plastic bottles: soda bottles, juice bottles, milk jugs, whatever. If you look a bit, they come in tons of different colors, and they generally come in two sizes -- roughly one inch and about two inches.

They're great for marking small effects, or for marking conditions. We've got a load of red ones that we got from Coke bottles and use for denoting bloodied creatures... Just hang them around the mini's neck, or let it slip down around the base.

O_O
Holy cow.
Holy cow.
This is such a good and obvious idea.
Enjoy some XP.

daveb22

First Post
wow this is the best

already went to wal-mart and i think i'm covered for tokens in case we have a battle with 200 monsters lol.

BADASS!! ty weem

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads