• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General DM Says No Powergaming?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
You brought up the cow.

Yup.

My first post was about range and droppjng cows. You responded to the range part.

My second was about dropping arrows. You responded about cows.

I'll take advantage on the arrows hitting since you and your villagers are distracted by worrying about the cows ;-)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But RAW, the DM calls for rolls if they decide something is in doubt.
Those are skill check rules, not combat rules.
Does anyone ever actually sit through the DM playing a town versus a dragon by himself? Or does the DM just create the scenario of the town in need and then let the players decide how their characters interact with that?
I doubt it. This is about how weak dragons now are due to overly bounded accuracy. It was good that they bounded it, but they should have played a bit looser with it and not allowed regular weapons to hurt an older dragon.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Those are skill check rules, not combat rules.

I doubt it. This is about how weak dragons now are due to overly bounded accuracy. It was good that they bounded it, but they should have played a bit looser with it and not allowed regular weapons to hurt an older dragon.
Even something as simple as needing a +1 magical weapon to-hit would be enough.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Someone should teach them the concepts of opportunity cost and competitive advantage. The free wood and bow factory are amazing resources. So even if the bows don’t cost them 50gp each in cash, they’re worth that much.

Ordinarily I’d say there may not be a local market for that many longbows, but with all these towns gearing up for dragon attacks, I think there’s a lot of demand in the market. So rather than outfit their own peasants with longbows, our town should sell them for a massive profit — 120,000gp for 2,400 longbows and negligible cash costs!
Not dragon attacks. Orcs, goblins, raiders, bandits, etc. They'd be armed for those reasons, as well as hunting.
That should allow them to hire an adventuring party with a hundred grand or so to keep the burgermeister’s offshore accounts topped off.
Where is this party, though. That's the major hurdle. There are very few groups capable of taking on a dragon and those groups rarely walk through a village at just the right time.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Even something as simple as needing a +1 magical weapon to-hit would be enough.
This isn't the only bounded accuracy issue that has come up, though. It would have been much better had they bounded class bonuses at +10 over 20 levels and then increased armor some more. You'd still have monsters be a threat for longer periods, but you wouldn't have high CR and epic monsters capable of being taken out by peasants.

Remove ads