D&D 5E DMG Preview: The Multiverse

JEB

Legend
I like it, though I'm a bit disappointed that most of that text is just paraphrased from the PHB. The list and categorization of classic settings is very welcome.

Surprised Ravenloft is a demiplane again, though I should note that it specifically says "the land of Barovia (in the Ravenloft setting)", which sounds like it may be a distinction of some unclear significance. (Also note that it could be a demiplane within the Shadowfell.)

Nitpick: It describes demiplanes as "extradimensional spaces," thereby re-breaking something that was fixed in the PHB.

The PHB calls them "extradimensional spaces" too (p. 302). Are you referring to another source?

Rygar

Explorer
I think you might be reading a little too much into this.

In my mind, WotC simply referenced the most well-known era of Dragonlance - the War of the Lance. A lot of people gave up after Dragons of Summer Flame. Admittedly, I was one until I began working on the Dragonlance Nexus and read the War of Souls.

I've seen a number of fans who never knew that Dragonlance had a number of 3.5 sourcebooks out under license to Margaret Weis Productions. I've also seen many fans (including some on these boards) who seem to think that Dragonlance has only one adventure (the original DL series of modules).

Dragonlance has many stories left to tell. While it has traditionally been a successful novel world, I maintain that it is every bit as good of a gaming world as any of the other D&D settings. I think it's time to get Dragonlance going again, to explore a future of new companions, the changing face of magic, and where dragons, terrible and great, made war on this world of Krynn.

Not to be rude, but are you sure you want Dragonlance to continue? Every time it gets mentioned you post how nothing's happening with Dragonlance, while ignoring that it was one of the first settings WOTC wanted to release material for during 4th edition and the fact that they talk about it regularly.

You're hands down the most pessimistic owner of a fansite I've ever seen. Maybe instead of posting about how Dragonlance isn't going to happen you might try leading a community in an effort to show WOTC how much interest there is?

Evenglare

Adventurer
I enjoy all of Dragonlance, then again I started reading all of them right around 2000. I see that a lot of people really hate the children stories and onwards, and I don't really see why honestly. I want the stories to continue. I want to know what happened with the staff of magius. I'm happy that 5e may be the jumpstart that the setting needed.

Zarithar

Adventurer
I may be in the minority, but I kind of hope the Nentir Vale gets a mention. Although I'm not a fan of the mechanics of 4e, I did like the setting (and the idea of the Shadowfell and Feywild). It's great to see all of the classic settings getting some love.

Not to be rude, but are you sure you want Dragonlance to continue? Every time it gets mentioned you post how nothing's happening with Dragonlance, while ignoring that it was one of the first settings WOTC wanted to release material for during 4th edition and the fact that they talk about it regularly.

You're hands down the most pessimistic owner of a fansite I've ever seen. Maybe instead of posting about how Dragonlance isn't going to happen you might try leading a community in an effort to show WOTC how much interest there is?
As someone who's never followed Dragonlance or its community, I feel like there's a dramatic (and possibly railroady) backstory here. I'll get the popcorn; just pretend I'm not here.

Sadras

Legend
Interesting, my favorite settings, Greyhawk and Dark Sun are both listed as Sword and Sorcery. I guess that's my jam.

I never considered a mashup, but I guess it could work. Dark Sun as future Greyhawk maybe?

Great idea.

I may be in the minority, but I kind of hope the Nentir Vale gets a mention. Although I'm not a fan of the mechanics of 4e, I did like the setting (and the idea of the Shadowfell and Feywild). It's great to see all of the classic settings getting some love.

Agree!

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Not to be rude, but are you sure you want Dragonlance to continue?

Hi, Rygar. It occurs to me that you probably don't know me too well. I don't post over here very often. Likewise, it also occurs to me that the internet is really bad about conveying intent. So allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Trampas Whiteman. I co-founded the Dragonlance Nexus (along with Tracy Hickman and Matt Haag from Dragonlance.com) in January 2001. At the time, WotC was allowing official fan sites for each setting, and the Nexus was chosen by Jim Butler to be the official site for Dragonlance. The site is coming up on its 14th anniversary this January. I'm currently in the process of moving it over to a new platform. I'm proud to say that it even won an Ennie. :)

I am also co-author of Races of Ansalon, Holy Orders of the Stars, and Knightly Orders of Ansalon. Plus, I did the script adaptation for the Legend of Huma comic book.

Every time it gets mentioned you post how nothing's happening with Dragonlance, while ignoring that it was one of the first settings WOTC wanted to release material for during 4th edition and the fact that they talk about it regularly.

A few years ago, there was a Dragonlance 25th Anniversary get-together at GenCon. Phil Athans (then from WotC) said that Dragonlance was alive and would be back for 4th edition. I took him for his word, and made some big announcements. Then nothing happened for Dragonlance in 4th edition. This was quite embarrassing for me.

I have a background in broadcasting, which included some journalism classes. I decided I was going to be more vigilant in verifying everything before I made any huge announcements.

Now here we are in 5th edition, and I am pumped. We are seeing tons of mentions of Dragonlance. In fact, a lot of the campaign worlds are getting some love, which is great. The Dragonlance community is pumped. I'm pumped. :)

If anyone is interested in Dragonlance, please check out one of our Facebook pages or our Twitter feed.

Dragonlance Facebook page
Dragonlance Nexus Chat
Dragonlance Twitter Feed

Or you can check out the Dragonlance Canticle podcast. Or check out the Dragonlance Forums.

I've learned over the years that negative energy tears things down. You build upon positive energy. I am very proud of what the Dragonlance community has built.

Long Live the Lance!

Henrix

Explorer
I think you all are missing an important point:

If your campaign takes place on
one of these worlds, that world belongs to you in your
campaign. Your version of the world can diverge wildly
from what’s in print.

That is, if you want to play pre-Wars, From the Ashes or Living Greyhawk, do so. Do not feel constrained by any material wizards publishes.
Take your pick between 2e, 3e, 4e or post Sundering Forgotten Realms.

If you want the most famous Dragonlance era... go for it.

The DMG mentions the most famous stuff, it seems to me.

Chimpy

First Post
I'm with you on this. I really liked Nentir Vale as well and I think it was a highlight of 4e. It was generic enough to be easy to write adventures for, but there was plenty of lore and content to reference for ideas. It was a great location for low to mid-level PCs to explore.

Shadowfell and Feywild were great too and full of flavour. Shame there was never a Feywild set like the Shadowfell box that was released.

Remove ads