DMs Guild Roundup: February

Welcome to this month’s DM Guild Roundup! We talk about what is hot and new on the DM’s Guild, as well as micro reviews of products sent to us or that we pick up. If you would like to see more of this or something different from the DM’s Guild Roundup, let us know. We are always open to feedback. If you have a product you would like us to look at, please reach out to us! You may also notice that we are now noting each author on a product or as best we can. We thought that was doing a better job of giving appropriate credit to the folks who work hard on these products.

336492.png

What’s Hot from Wizards’ & Guild Adepts

1. My Dad’s Monster Manual by James Introcaso
  2. Puzzle Master by Celeste Conowitch, James Introcaso, M.T. Black
  3. Waterdeep: City Encounters by Alan PAtrick, Cindy Moore, James Introcaso, M.T. Black, Robert Adducci, Shawn Merwin, Travis Woodall, Will Doyle
  4. Xanathar’s Lost Notes to Everything Else by Lysa Chen, Will Doyle, James Haeck, James Introcaso, Rich Lescouflair, Shawn Merwin, Cindy Moore, Satine Phoenix, Ruty Rutenberg
  5. Lost City of Mezro by Rich Lescouflair, Will Doyle
343401.jpg

What’s Most Popular on the DM’s Guild

1. The Infinite Staircase by Oliver Darkshire
  2. Exploring Eberron by Keith Baker, KB Presents
  3. Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden Complete DM’s Bundle by Enentyr Games
  4. Tasha’s Crucible of Everything Else Volume 1 by QL Games, Landon Zea, Stuart Watkinson, Heath Harris, Taron Pounds, Caleb Willden, Baden White, MAtthew Jarmak, Christian Zeuch, Valentin Prevost, Joe Gaylord, Zavier Bates, Anthony Turco
  5. Monster Manual Expanded (5E) by Dragonix
343753.jpg

What’s New From the Adventurer's League

1. DC-POA-ROG-1 The Frozen Path to Easthaven by JD McComb
  2. DDAL 10-03 Diving Evil by The GM Tim
  3. DDAL 10-02 Gnashing Teeth by Laura Thompson
  4. Dc-PoA-DCAF06 A Front on Frost by Adrian Francisco
  5. DC-POA-INGH-01 A Hot Time in the Cold Town Tonight by Gregory Harris
311436.png

Pocket Review: Elminster’s Candlekeep Companion

By: Anthony Joyce, Justice Arman, Ed Greenwood, M.T. Black, Jeremy Forbing, Trevor Armstrong, Laura Hirsbrunner

With the news that the new book from Wizards of the Coast was going to be about Candlekeep, I thought it good timing to pluck this gem from the pile and review it for you. Elminster’s Candlekeep Companion is an expansive guide to using Candlekeep as the center of a campaign or series of adventures. Alongside information about the grand library itself, the book contains character options, magic items, and adventures for DM’s to run in and around Candlekeep. A PDF copy was provided to EN World so that I could offer this information without the need for players and DMs to gain entry into Candelkeep itself.

The book opens with a foreword from Elminster himself (he was not available for an interview) and a full color map of Candlekeep. The aesthetics of the book are excellent, though like many products there is a density of words. Everything is laid out in a professional manner as you might expect from these experienced designers. Information on the history of Candlekeep and how to use the book round out the opening pages.

In the character options there are four subclasses offered. College of Destiny (Bard), Prophecy Domain (Cleric), Way of the Avowed Preserver (Monk), and Academic Lore (Wizard). All of them are well thought out but none of them jumped out to me as something I would want to play. I am also surprised that there is no paladin Order in here and maybe even a warlock patron.

Two chapters talk about Candlekeep itself and the areas and people within. This is enough information to run an entire Candlekeep campaign and keep your players entertained for many levels. The chapter on adventures has story seeds and details on quests that involve Candlekeep itself. In the chapter on magic items you will find a good selection of mostly standard magical items. However, there are some unique ones including the Egg of Death.

Elminster’s Candlekeep Companion is exactly what you might think: a wide-angled look at the famous library and some of its associated lore. As a companion to the upcoming official book, I think it will provide useful information to Realms’ DMs everywhere.

Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

aco175

Legend
The Candlekeep book looks like it would help if you play to get the Wizards book in a few months. I like that they let you see the 84 page preview to scroll through before you decide to pay the $15.00 purchase. The map of the place looks great.

The Candlekeep book looks like it would help if you play to get the Wizards book in a few months. I like that they let you see the 84 page preview to scroll through before you decide to pay the $15.00 purchase. The map of the place looks great.
You can wait as long as you want to get it, of course, but (in the USA at least) Candlekeep Mysteries goes on sale two weeks from today.

As for the map in Elminster's Candlekeep Companion, it is indeed excellent. There's a different map of Candlekeep coming as a tear-out poster in Candlekeep Mysteries, though, and so far as I know, that one hasn't been revealed/spoiled yet. I reached out to the cartographer of the one in ECC and learned that the two maps are different and created by different cartographers—I didn't learn whether the differences will render the two mutually incompatible, though.

Waller

Legend

What’s Hot from Wizards’ & Guild Adepts

1. My Dad’s Monster Manual by James Introcaso
  2. Puzzle Master by Celeste Conowitch, James Introcaso, M.T. Black
  3. Waterdeep: City Encounters by Alan PAtrick, Cindy Moore, James Introcaso, M.T. Black, Robert Adducci, Shawn Merwin, Travis Woodall, Will Doyle
  4. Xanathar’s Lost Notes to Everything Else by Lysa Chen, Will Doyle, James Haeck, James Introcaso, Rich Lescouflair, Shawn Merwin, Cindy Moore, Satine Phoenix, Ruty Rutenberg
  5. Lost City of Mezro by Rich Lescouflair, Will Doyle
The 'adepts' thing is so problematic and gatekeepy. Why would I sell in that marketplace when I know that the marketplace owner is going to consistently promote my direct competitors?

Dire Bare

Legend
The 'adepts' thing is so problematic and gatekeepy. Why would I sell in that marketplace when I know that the marketplace owner is going to consistently promote my direct competitors?
Nah.

It's just WotC partnering with creators they trust with quality, collaboration, and likely being able to hit a deadline.

There are a lot of good "DM's Guild Adepts" products, but they do not consistently dominate the top-sales on the DM's Guild. If you're holding back on publishing on the DM's Guild for this reason, it's not a good one. Note, there are plenty of good reasons why you might want to publish elsewhere, this just isn't one of them. IMO.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Because PDF products still have a bad reputation in some quarters, and having a category of product that you can rely on probably being pretty good gets more people invested in the entire platform, increasing the chances they'll buy yours.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases