D&D 5E DMs, how do you fudge?

This is how I, as DM, most commonly fudge during our 5e D&D sessions (choose up to 3):

• Dice rolls in favor of the PCs

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • Dice rolls in favor of the monsters/NPCs

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Monster/NPC HP during combat

Votes: 46 38.3%
  • Monster/NPC AC during combat

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • DCs

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • Other (comment below)

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I don't fudge - what is prepped is what there is

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • I don't fudge - fudging is cheating

Votes: 24 20.0%
  • I don't fudge - I prefer other deserts

Votes: 19 15.8%

Oofta

Legend
I myself don't find any appreciable difference between "calling it" and fudging. In both cases the DM is just choosing to no longer play the board game as per the rules of said game. So one isn't any better or worse than the other to me.
One is being open about the fact that you're ending the fight because it's no longer interesting, the other is being deceptive. Whether being deceptive is good or bad is a personal opinion, I personally try to avoid it.

Stormonu

Legend
If a player's paranoia comes up with something interesting, I just might make it come true. I can't think of everything, and sometimes other people come up with some really good ideas that are just too great to pass up.

I will rarely sometimes modify encounters - add an extra wave, beef up or tone down an opponent. Always in making things more interesting, whatever the outcome. One example I can think of is adding that 1 point of damage to a PCs attack when a monster gets drops to 1 hit point - generally only if its the last opponent the PCs are facing and it doesn't have a chance in hell of retaliating noticeably against the PCs.

For me, the dice are a tool and the story isn't written until it happens. If making changes makes the game more memorable, I'm not opposed to it.

Hex08

Hero
I tend to not fudge. I'm pretty sure haven't done so once during the current campaign I'm running. But I don't consider it an inherently bad thing.
This is what I think some people are missing here, most who fudge (at least those posting here) seem to view it the way you do. It doesn't happen often and probably not enough to matter or derail a game.

Most RPGs are full of judgement calls made by the DM over a wide variety of situations and the occasional fudge, as long as it's not ruining people's time, is just another judgement call. Neither side is inherently right or wrong here, the end result is what is ok with the group as a whole.

Lyxen

Great Old One
You don't need a teacher to learn lesson.

And, again, who says that D&D is about learning a lesson ? I thought it was just a game...

When you put your hand on the open stove and burn yourself when you're young, you learn a lesson.

Yeah, right, that's certainly what people are looking for when playing D&D, an experience akin to putting one's hand on the open stove. For fun, of course....

I'm not teaching anything to anyone. But it goes both ways, what you do, allows and forbid at a table, whether it's through explicit or implicit rulings has an effect on the behaviour of the people at the table.

Or, you know, you could discuss the game openly with your players, as part of session 0 and a debrief and have even greater effect on the behaviour without all the negative strings attached...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:

Folks, let us make this clear - if you cannot have a discussion about techniques without accusing people of cheating, lying, or dishonesty, you will not be in the discussion.

I will let instances from the early pages slide, as there was no warning. Consider yourselves lucky.

Please continue in a mature, rational, and respectful manner. Thanks for your attention.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
To be used very sparingly and with restraint, basically under two conditions:

- I screwed something up technically, like not noticing monster was supposed to have legendary action X or resistance X until mid-way through combat encounter. In that case, monster may suddenly get some extra HP to compensate for my mistake

- Session is going too long and needs to end (especially for one-shots). Monsters may get their hit points shaved.

Since most monsters are presented as having a range of hit points, arguably this is fine anyway. But on rare occasions for the reasons noted above, monster HP can be a little fluid. Probably happens once or twice a year.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
One thing I noticed about my own fudging. I fudged a lot more often when I first started GMing. Often, it was a scramble to get the game working because of my inexperience. The more experienced I became with the game system, and being a GM in general, the less and less I resorted to fudging.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
And, again, who says that D&D is about learning a lesson ? I thought it was just a game...
Nobody said it was about learning a lesson. But you can learn lessons while playing it. And games are probably the best tools we have to teach and learn. There's a whole billion market about it. So the it's just a game thing doesn't hold.
Yeah, right, that's certainly what people are looking for when playing D&D, an experience akin to putting one's hand on the open stove. For fun, of course....
I don't know why you're pulling things in such directions. I never said it was like that. I said learning lessons don't require a teacher. I used the common example of the stove to image the fact that just going through experiences can teach you things. Just like trying something new in your game and having great success teaches about what works, etc.

Or, you know, you could discuss the game openly with your players, as part of session 0 and a debrief and have even greater effect on the behaviour without all the negative strings attached...
I do and always did. Are these things exclusive? The point is, behaviours that you let happen at your table will happen. And when I say behaviour, I don't mean like someone eating chips or being rude. I talk about design. You come at the table with some design intentions, you created a scenario to create a mood, or scare your players, or make them feel challenged, or reward them for some past doings. What design intentions you bring affect the behaviour they will have. Just like rewarding XP for gold promotes a certain behaviour.

And the point that was discussed, before being derailed, is that, in my opinion, the vast majority of decisions that cancels your players agency will, in the long run, dissuade any behaviour of being involved in the act of decision-making. We have discussions about this stuff all the time on this board. I've seen countless discussions about how the deadliness of encounters and how if your players know that if they do very bad decisions someone might die makes them more involved in the encounter because they take it seriously. It's not like I'm coming from the left field with the proposition I'm making...

Remove ads