• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) DM's no longer getting crits on PC's

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I mean, go ahead?

I’m not gonna change how I run crits, but I will adopt nat20 passing saving throws and see how it plays.
I've been asking for nat 20 auto succeed on saves ever since I realized it's possible to have save DC's that are impossible to succeed against. That's just bad design, IMO.

I'm less thrilled about it for standard ability checks, but gamers seem to already believe natural 20's and 1's have mystical powers.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Folks are A-ok making sacrifices on the altar of balance in the name of fun.
That implies a dichotomy between balance and fun, which I personally think is false. But it doesn’t really matter. People like symmetrical crits, so it doesn’t matter what design utility this change brings; it’s undoubtedly going to get torn apart in the survey.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
That implies a dichotomy between balance and fun, which I personally think is false. But it doesn’t really matter. People like symmetrical crits, so it doesn’t matter what design utility this change brings; it’s undoubtedly going to get torn apart in the survey.
No not really, balance absolutely matters, right up until it interferes with fun.

Remove ads