• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) DM's no longer getting crits on PC's

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Like I said I’m gonna try it, but…I disagree that it’s bad design. IMO it’s elegant design. There should be effects that you cannot avoid or escape without help because you aren’t especially strong against them, at very high level. And it really is only a thing at very high level.

But yeah, Orcus should have abilities that a character who has trained their mind and body to resist that sort of attack has a chance of fighting off, but the character who hasn’t just cannot fight off without help.

I mean…they have in the past, basically. A lot of folks find it very satisfying, even when it is detrimental to them.
I guess I was just used to always having a chance. Given how bounded accuracy makes it possible to face monsters much higher or lower in level than you, coming across a scenario where a monster can't save against a spell or a player can't save against a monster ability will come up (especially with those DC improving magic items out there). I had personal experience with this during Storm King's Thunder, when we had to fight a Blue Dragon with a very high challenge rating, and I couldn't save against it's fear even with advantage.

That got me thinking about how you only get 2 good saves by default, and how a high level party could get ended by a single spell if no one has a good save against it (like in, say, an all martial party).

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I guess I was just used to always having a chance. Given how bounded accuracy makes it possible to face monsters much higher or lower in level than you, coming across a scenario where a monster can't save against a spell or a player can't save against a monster ability will come up (especially with those DC improving magic items out there). I had personal experience with this during Storm King's Thunder, when we had to fight a Blue Dragon with a very high challenge rating, and I couldn't save against it's fear even with advantage.

That got me thinking about how you only get 2 good saves by default, and how a high level party could get ended by a single spell if no one has a good save against it (like in, say, an all martial
That’s so difficult to balance for an all X party. Some wil undoubtedly say it’s worth it, but I’m not among them.

Dausuul

Legend
I'm entirely in favor of the change. For a player, a crit is a moment of excitement, a happy gift from the dice gods. For me as DM, it is at best a nuisance where I have to roll damage dice instead of using the flat damage option; and at worst an unexpected PC death.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I'm entirely in favor of the change. For a player, a crit is a moment of excitement, a happy gift from the dice gods. For me as DM, it is at best a nuisance where I have to roll damage dice instead of using the flat damage option; and at worst an unexpected PC death.
Yeah a death you aren't prepared for, like halfway through a time sensitive, 5 encounter adventure when the Cleric dies to a mighty critical...I've had that happen and it sucks!

I wouldn't mind really if, again, crits were balanced, but for the most part, a Fighter gets another die of damage, and a monster can get several dice...

Sure, spells, Paladins, and Rogues, but it seems like those are suddenly being seen as proud nails at WotC HQ!

FireLance

Legend
If double damage is too swingy, I wouldn't mind criticals imposing special effects, for example:

Greatclub. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 18 (3d8 + 5) bludgeoning damage. Crit: 18 (3d8 + 5) bludgeoning damage and if the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 16 Constitution saving throw or be stunned for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

TheSword

Legend
I will probably allow a monster crit to trigger some effect from a list of DM options.

• Move a player in combat with it 5’
  • Move a monster 5’
  • Knock a player prone
  • Move the monsters to the next place up the initiative order
  • Monster makes a free disengage

Probably some others. Monsters could be much more interesting.

That got me thinking about how you only get 2 good saves by default, and how a high level party could get ended by a single spell if no one has a good save against it (like in, say, an all martial party).
I've never liked the Save DC vs Save modifier progression in 5e. Your good saves keep up with level appropriate DCs as long as you also increase the related attribute whenever you can. Every other save will fall further and further behind as you level up. Only paladins with high CHA ever get to be good at saving throws.

In 2e a high level fighter was very resistant to most magical effects because of his good saving throws, but in 5e that same fighter will easily be shut down by any effect targeting anything other than STR or CON.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads