• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Do Player Characters Have Average Population Stat Distributions?

Are hero PCs bound to average population statistics?

• I agree with the proposition: PCs do not have to follow average population stats of NPCs

Votes: 62 69.7%
  • I disagree: if the average NPC orc is stronger, PC orcs also have to be stronger on average

Votes: 27 30.3%

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I will add that unlike Twosix, I don't view this as warring camps that will only allow for one victor. I think it would be easy enough to make the default of having the ASIs tied to race, and a paragraph (like the variant human) that says, "By the way, you can untie ASIs from races and have a floating bonus of X."

Because I like people to be happy. Except people that play bards. They deserve no happiness.

This seems to be the simplest and best solution. Vocal permission via a 1 line sentence in the game to play with floating racial ASI's.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Darn it, new people come in, and I get sucked back into the thread from Hades!

For me, racial ASI is all about genetics. Period. Which is why having a universal cap at 20 makes no sense for me. (Which, is why we changed it. ;) ) We also added a feat, called Raising the Bar, which allows races with 18 caps to raise them to 20.

I'm curious how this isn't a case of cognitive dissonance? If the 20 cap is due to a racial limitation, how the heck does the feat fictionally bypass that?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So if I rolled all my NPCs 3d6 in order, you'll roll that way for your character??
We discussed this yesterday in our game. It was done in Basic D&D and worked fine then, why not now? :)

I'm curious how this isn't a case of cognitive dissonance? If the 20 cap is due to a racial limitation, how the heck does the feat fictionally bypass that?
It represents the things your PC has done to improve himself beyond what others would consider maximum potential. A feat is a valuable thing, so making this choice really shows dedication to it. And, FWIW, the cap is 18 for the racial limitation in this case. The feat allows you do go beyond that to 20. It also gives you a +1 to that ability, and allows you one reroll per long rest on any attack, ability check, or saves involving that ability score.

If the non-feat PC hit 18 I think you'd find the feat option differently valued.
Making such comparisons is pointless--value is completely individual to the player and the PC build. There are many feats I would happily give up a +1 modifier bonus for, but others I would not. shrug

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I understand this is a D&D thing, but where did this idea come from? I mean the Orcs of JRRT are not stronger than humans or elves. When did this idea come about?

I am literally reading the LOTR trilogy now and there is such a variety of orcs! Some have long arms, some are huge, some are small... I mean, at one point Frodo and Sam are able to pass as orcs by wearing orc armor!

Remove ads