D&D 5E Do you know a creatures location if they are in heavy concealment but not actively hiding and other location questions

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
From a mechanic or narrative standpoint, using a screen and running is not an effective way to conceal your position IMO. Running makes a lot of noise, especially fully geared up. The screen from the smoke-bomb would still provide some level of obscurement but running would make hiding impracticable.
Interesting. Where is the 'you can't hide while running' rule, again?

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Interesting. Where is the 'you can't hide while running' rule, again?
In the hiding rules;

Hiding:
You can’t hide from a creature that can see you clearly, and you give away your position if you make noise, such as shouting a warning or knocking over a vase.

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
In the hiding rules!

Hiding:
You can’t hide from a creature that can see you clearly, and you give away your position if you make noise, such as shouting a warning or knocking over a vase.

I see a lack of running in there. Or is your argument that running = knocking over a vase or shouting?

Plaguescarred

I see a lack of running in there. Or is your argument that running = knocking over a vase or shouting?
You must be kidding right? Such as ...are exemples. If you think these are the only noise that can prevent hiding i don't know what to tell you

Are you really claiming that running with full gear doesn't make noise?

Are you really claiming that running with full gear doesn't make noise?
There are no assumptions about what sort of gear a character may be wearing, except that if you do try to sneak while wearing clanky armor, then you have disadvantage on the check.

While I doubt anyone would say that running in leather armor is an inherently quiet activity, it's also not on the same level as actively shouting. This seems like a clear case where DM discretion applies.

Plaguescarred

There are no assumptions about what sort of gear a character may be wearing, except that if you do try to sneak while wearing clanky armor, then you have disadvantage on the check.

While I doubt anyone would say that running in leather armor is an inherently quiet activity, it's also not on the same level as actively shouting. This seems like a clear case where DM discretion applies.
These are just exemple of noise. Running, even strip naked, makes significant noise from feet stomping alone

Limond

Explorer
There are multiple areas that reference noise and hiding. Apart from the above that provide examples (though they are loud examples) further down in the Hiding section when referencing invisible creature it states having to stay quiet. Also in the Unseen Attacker and Targets section (194) hidden is briefly defined as unseen and unheard. Finally in the Invisible Condition (Appendix A) it does say "The creatures location can be detected by any noise it makes or any tracks it makes."

These are just exemple of noise. Running, even strip naked, makes significant noise from feet stomping alone
It depends on how good you are at running. If I was suitably-attired, I could run a short distance without drawing un-due attention to myself.

I mean, it's notable that the example says shouting rather than talking. Whether any given noise is going to be enough to make stealth impossible is going to vary based on any number of factors, so it's ultimately going to be at the DM's discretion either way. Running down an empty stone corridor, or through the woods at night, is different from running down an alley of a busy city. Whatever noise you make needs to be heard over the ambient conditions, or else your heartbeat would give you away.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
It depends on how good you are at running. If I was suitably-attired, I could run a short distance without drawing un-due attention to myself.
Indeed. At some tables, lightly-armored halflings and elves might be expected to move silently without a check, whether the rules say so or not. And if there are several other people running around (as in a street or a chaotic battle), then what does it matter if the fleeing character makes noise? In the confusion, who can pick out one set of footsteps from another? Sometimes, to be stealthy, you don't necessarily need to be silent; you just need to be quieter than everyone else.

Remove ads