Do You Know Your Glaive-Guisarme From Your Bohemian Earspoon?

Weapons are a large part of any fantasy game. Sometimes they are detailed individually, with crunchy statistics; sometimes they are merely left as flavour. However, it can be fun to imagine the weapons your character is wielding. Halberds, maces, rapiers, guisarmes, glaives, arquebuses, firelances, crossbows, and more make up the armories of any fantasy realms. Straight from the pages of [WOIN] Archaic Equipment, the upcoming sourcebook for the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system come these illustrations of a wide range of weapons from artist Egil Thompson.

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

w4.jpg

w5.jpg

w6.jpg

w7.jpg

SaveSave

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes, there were two claymores. I think I'll see about getting the two-handed version added also. Anybody got a good suggestion on how to name them, though? Claymore and Greater Claymore?

TheFailedSave

First Post
Yes, there were two claymores. I think I'll see about getting the two-handed version added also. Anybody got a good suggestion on how to name them, though? Claymore and Greater Claymore?

Claymore for the two handed version and Broadsword for the basket hilt is probably more accurate.

NotZenon

Explorer
Well claymore literally means "long sword" or "great sword" in gaelic. So the scots used to term to refer to the longest sword in popular use at the time. Similarly the german "zweihander" literally means "two hander".

I'm sure most of you knew this though, so sorry for being "that guy".

i'm impressed most of these seem to be pretty close to historically accurate. probably the warhammer is the only one thats off, being much larger than a historical version, fortunately the picture of the military pick right below it is almost identical to a historical warhammer.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
Arms & Armor by Bastion Press is a really good reference. Although I'm still looking for a good example of Tian He Feng Wei Tang (Heaven Lotus Phoenix Tail), it's talked about but I have never seen a good picture of it.

EdL

First Post
i'm impressed most of these seem to be pretty close to historically accurate. probably the warhammer is the only one thats off, being much larger than a historical version, fortunately the picture of the military pick right below it is almost identical to a historical warhammer.

Yeah, I was steamed that they included the 'warhammer' that isn't anything like one. Wish they'd left it out and just called the military pick that.

Also, the picture of the bill is much too fancy for the name. A regular bill (or bill hook) is much plainer than that.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases