• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do you miss attribute minimums/maximums?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yep, dwarves of old. But in the Silmarilion, The Hobbit, Lord of the Ring and the Various "Age" books, dwarves don't. Their magic is part of the past and of legends. They abandoned magic because of the "corrupting" effect it had on them. So yep, I am partialy right on that account.

They do in the Silmarillion. The craft masks that stop dragonfire. Weapons and armor better than all but the greatest of Noldor smiths. Those had magic.

Probably true, but what a horrible thought!

Why?
At this point, I would like to see a Dragonlance movie, A Crystal Shard movie, Even a Moonshae island movie wouldn't be bad. The litterary genre of D&D has a lot of best sellers. Some are even in 10th or 12th printing or higher. The Dragonlance movie would be my first choice tough...

They do in the Silmarillion. The craft masks that stop dragonfire. Weapons and armor better than all but the greatest of Noldor smiths. Those had magic.

Yep, the stuff of legends. Depending on which time line you are reading. At the moment of the LotR the dwarven magic is all but a legend. Even in the Silmarillion, the decline can be felt. It is not bad per say. It's just there.

But I really like to see dwarven mages, especialy when they multiclass in the fighter class and they start to craft mighty weapons with enchantments like their ancestors. We had a nice game around that in 3.5e. An entire group made up of dwarves! One dwarven paladin, fighter, Cleric, Mage/fighter, and one thief/mage. That one group was quite a blast to play.

edit: I had forgotten to mention the dwarven fighter/cleric that was the 6th member.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In my Tenesia setting, gnomes are an offshoot of the dwarf race
I have that too; and both are offshoots of what became the Giant races. Gnomes, however, lost their resistance to magic in their evolution, while the Dwarves enhanced theirs.

Tenesia's gnomes are tinkerers, but they don't typically make giant, insane, devices that risk blowing up their homes. An item of gear in that setting is the "gnomish lock:" it's basically a combination lock. Gnomes also make clocks, pocket watches, etc.
That sounds about right for typical Gnomes...it's the atypical ones that do take their inventions and tinkering to dangerous levels you have to watch out for. :)

Lanefan

Arilyn

Hero
Why?
At this point, I would like to see a Dragonlance movie, A Crystal Shard movie, Even a Moonshae island movie wouldn't be bad. The litterary genre of D&D has a lot of best sellers. Some are even in 10th or 12th printing or higher. The Dragonlance movie would be my first choice tough...

Although, there is nothing wrong with enjoying DnD type fantasies, I wouldn't want people to miss out on truly good writers like Tolkien, Peter S. Beagle, Patricia McKillip, Tanith Lee, etc for Forgotten Realms novels. I wouldn't want people to associate the fantasy genre with DnD type stories.

Although, there is nothing wrong with enjoying DnD type fantasies, I wouldn't want people to miss out on truly good writers like Tolkien, Peter S. Beagle, Patricia McKillip, Tanith Lee, etc for Forgotten Realms novels. I wouldn't want people to associate the fantasy genre with DnD type stories.

I fully agree on that. Maybe the Chronicles of Amber could be good? An Elric movie wouldn't be something to sneeze at too. Elfstones of Shanara?
So many books now that could be put on the big screen.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
No, I'm afraid I've never seen an episode of South Park at all, so I'm afraid your anecdote is lost on me. All I know about South Park is ugly animation, and someone named Kenny is always dying. I probably haven't seen more than 15 seconds total of the show though.

Basically, a bunch of manatees write the scripts for a Cartoon, they do so by choosing words written in balls in their pool. If you remove a single ball, you are signaling you don't trust them with that word, and they respond to that by stopping working. If you want the manatees to work, you have to trust them with all the words, not just the ones you approve. (And nowadays Kenny only dies like once a season)

Sorry, also no. So, why are you bothered by the idea of the game removing options you'll never use? :)

T-T I thought I had a reputation for being too outspoken about the sorcerer. At least [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] seems to remember me... Anyway, I'm bothered by the loss of spear proficiency -and all the simple weapons- despite not even playing 'real' combatants. the spear meant a lot. It was a symbol of the peasantness of sorcerers, how they can come from anywhere, how deep down they are just common folk like you and me, in short how they are a part of the world as opposed to the ivory tower wizards that deliberately shun the world in order to pursue power. Losing it was heartbreaking (also Hermit as default bg, no familiars and very little utility spells?).

Also, I'm actively choosing to play a certain way. If all other choices are gone, then I'm no longer choosing, I'm being shoehorned. Nothing wrong with playing a weak vulnerable girl, as long as it is my choice and not something imposed on me. And I also want others to be able to choose. One girl I've RPed with many times cuts her teeth on female warriors, her no longer being able to play her favorite kind of character would mean her not being as happy playing and possibly her stopping playing altogether. And that affects me, as she is a very good roleplayer. (BTW none of her toons so far has been "a man with breasts...".)

Coroc

Hero
I fully agree on that. Maybe the Chronicles of Amber could be good? An Elric movie wouldn't be something to sneeze at too. Elfstones of Shanara?
So many books now that could be put on the big screen.

Shanara = Hollywood stuff, I never liked shannara compared to other fantasy books

Chronicles of Amber = eventually doable but people who did not read the books will not understand what it is about easily

Elric = that is absolutely demanding. You will need big money for that and world class actors and script authors. That is no Hollywood flash bang blockbuster at all.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads