D&D (2024) Do you plan to adopt D&D5.5One2024Redux?

Plan to adopt the new core rules?

• Yep

Votes: 262 53.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 232 47.0%

Irlo

Hero
I didn't. This is pretty much what I expected since WotC shot themselves in the foot by attempting to adhere to their backwards compatibility statement. That meant the changes couldn't be very significant and many people aren't going to want to spend the money to rebuy the three core books when the ones they have will continue to work. I say pretty much what I expected, because I did think it would stay closer to 2/3 vs. 1/3.
We'll see soon enough if they shot themselves in the foot, but I'm doubting that. For my part, I am presently unlikely to buy the revised PHB and very, very unlikely to buy the revised MM and DMG. But I am very likely to buy some forthcoming adventures and sourcebooks, which I wouldn't be buying at all if WotC moved to a new, incompatible edition.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Can 5e be defined in a single, easy-to-understand sentence? Probably not. Such a definition would need to be looked at objectively. 5e currently and subjectively means different things to different people.
Oss has a word for that nebulous cloud that can be used with a qualifier to specify how much or little of the cloud you are talking about. That word is firk(s).

"5e [Including/excluding] forks"
It was a compromise. Feature Y didn't work and got changed to Z in order for the player to play the PC he wanted. The player got the better deal, but didn't get everything he wanted, so it was a compromise.
"Feature Didn't work" was not the binary yes no being discussed, it was just the Chewbacca defense. The binary was if 2014 stuff is allowed at all yes or no. What is the compromise on fixed or unfixed smites? The "steal underpants->????->profit" black box doesn't work for "How can there be compromise, though, on what is clearly a binary yes-no decision as to whether something will be included or not?" Unless the example can demonstrate what compromise looks like on a binary without resorting to capitulation.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
"Feature Didn't work" was not the binary yes no being discussed, it was just the Chewbacca defense. The binary was if 2014 stuff is allowed at all yes or no. What is the compromise on fixed or unfixed smites?
You can compromise binaries like the 2014 vs. 2024 smites. Perhaps you allow it to remain choosable free after a hit like 2014, but limit it to 1 per round like 2024. House rules allow you to compromise things like that.
The "steal underpants->????->profit" black box doesn't work for "How can there be compromise, though, on what is clearly a binary yes-no decision as to whether something will be included or not?" Unless the example can demonstrate what compromise looks like on a binary without resorting to capitulation.
Not that I disagree with the concept that some things are going to be yes or no, but I think most things like that can be compromised similarly to the above example. House rules do wonders.

Oss has a word for that nebulous cloud that can be used with a qualifier to specify how much or little of the cloud you are talking about. That word is firk(s).
What if this poll about adopting 2024D&D was more than a yes/no poll?

A) You adopt some of 2024D&D, but keep using some of 2014D&D.
B) You adopt some of 2024D&D, but keep using all of 2014D&D.
C) You adopt all of 2024 D&D, and don't use any of 2014D&D
D) You adopt none of 2024 D&D and keep using 2014D&D.

The results for this poll would paint a better picture than a binary poll of where the participants stand with regards to 2024D&D and 2014D&D.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

The results for this poll would paint a better picture than a binary poll of where the participants stand with regards to 2024D&D and 2014D&D.
Those might be interesting, but the signal to noise would be too high to glean much imo.the yes/no allows no to include things like dagger heart mcdm rpg ToV level up &so on making it a somewhat more interesting metric.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax

This poll post here is reasonably close to the choices you listed.

Those might be interesting, but the signal to noise would be too high to glean much imo.the yes/no allows no to include things like dagger heart mcdm rpg ToV level up &so on making it a somewhat more interesting metric.
True. Saying No to adopting 2024D&D means you have decided to stick to 5e or one of it's analogs. However, saying yes strikes me as a bit misleading as it seems to imply that you have completely adopted 2024D&D. That you won't be using any of the material that came from the 2014D&D. The person who comes into D&D for the very first time will wholeheartedly adopt it. But for the person who had been playing 5e for years, it's more likely IMO that they might adopt some of it, all of it, or none of it.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
True. Saying No to adopting 2024D&D means you have decided to stick to 5e or one of it's analogs. However, saying yes strikes me as a bit misleading as it seems to imply that you have completely adopted 2024D&D. That you won't be using any of the material that came from the 2014D&D. The person who comes into D&D for the very first time will wholeheartedly adopt it. But for the person who had been playing 5e for years, it's more likely IMO that they might adopt some of it, all of it, or none of it.
If I adopt it there is a zero percent chance that any PC at my tables will ever be allowed a 2014 element. So far 2024 has been exclusively "hey players, we made cool new stuff for you" and little more than trust us or doubling down on dm 'pain points' making it kinda strange to be decided already

This poll post here is reasonably close to the choices you listed.

I don't own many 2014D&D books. I tend to visit 5e websites like dnd5ewikidot.com, 5esrd.com and D&D Wiki for my 5e fix. ;) So I don't see myself buying any 2024D&D material, especially when it will be posted for free on some website someday.

Besides, I am more interested in Level Up. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads