Do You Prefer to Play a Human PC When RPGing?

Do You Prefer to Play a Human PC When RPGing?

• Yes

Votes: 262 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 182 41.0%

Drowbane

First Post
Of the core races, I play: dwarves, elves, halflings, and humans.

TarionzCousin said:
Yeah, me too.

Although it doesn't bother me; I just prefer to explore "otherness" in games.

Waaahooo!! Thread-necromancy!

I didn't notice until I saw Forceuser's "coke as all soda analogy".

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
RFisher said:
Sure, but do you beg your DM to let you play a Gelatinous Cube because that's the fartherest thing from yourself you can find in the game?

Or do you beg to play a spell book? (^_^)

I like to play a PC that is like me in some ways, but unlike me in other ways. We simply choose to draw the line in different places.

Frankly, even the least different D&D PC is still so mind-bogglingly different from me to be an adequate escape from reality for me. (^_^)
The poll states "human," not "humanoid."

And what's wrong with playing a gelatinous cube ranger? :p

RFisher

Explorer
Ranger REG said:
The poll states "human," not "humanoid."

And what's wrong with playing a gelatinous cube ranger? :p

Not necessarily anything. (^_^)

I'm just saying that "escapism" doesn't justify "elf" all that much more than "wizard". (Or--for me--"fighter".)

Not that it really matters. We don't need to justify our preferences. I don't think I really have any idea why I prefer to play human PCs.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Mostly, I want to play humans, so they can really come to life in the game.
But:
1. 3.5 pretty much requires you to have darkvision.
2. Most people seem to play "whatever race gives the most plusses for the class they want to play"
3. I'm too tired to think of a number 3 :heh:
4. every dwarf uses a dwarven waraxe, every elf comes standard issue with a longbow and a longsword or rapier.
5. we end up with a crazy mix of exotic races that have no common ties or reasons to work together, running through a world of humans who pretend not to notice.
6. in that world full of humans, our only opponents are never human.

Derren

Hero
I play humans most of the time because they have the least chliches attached to them so I can play them any way I want without other players constantly looking at me or maybe even commenting that my dwarf/elf/gnome/... behaves strange.

Yaztromo

Explorer
I prefer playing a human. I feel I can relate better to the character and, somehow, I can dream about the character being me in some very strange situation.

S

Sunseeker

No. I am almost always some sort of elf or half-elf. Exotic races are fun for one-shots. Humans I typically find dull and uninteresting.

Remove ads