Do you sell your books?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I've sold a bunch over the years, usually at game auctions like the old Gen Con auction when it was still in Milwaukee and I was close enough to haul my used books/games. When I do sell things, it's because I don't really see myself using them again. So I've unloaded a bunch of splat books and setting books from previous editions in the hopes that the find homes where people will use them - which is better than them gathering dust on my over-filled shelves.

fba827

Adventurer
If I find I’m not using a book anymore I ….
(1) flip through it and see if there is any concept or flavor information that I would potentially want (ie setting information or flavorful magic items and creature that I could rework for other game systems or games)

If not then…
(2) see if any friends or friends of friends want it

if not then …
(3) goes in to recycling as I have zero patience for dealing with selling (ie don’t like haggling over price or shipping or if someone decides they want to return it or even responding to emails or texts)

there is only one item that I’ve done this to that I regret and it wasn’t a gaming book. So my personal attachments to books is low, compared to others in this thread.

Mercador

Adventurer
The only books that worth really something (like 40$ a book) is the DnD 5ed Collector Box. Otherwise, it's pretty much 5$ for Pathfinder 1ed and 5-20$ for older DnD editions or stuff like Rogue Trader, Cyberpunk and Zweihander. But reading your comments put emphasis that I'll probably regret it in the long run. I don't need money neither I need the space, I just want to declutter my office but I'm still really attached to some of those books so I guess that if I get rid of them, it would be for the wrong reasons.

R_J_K75

Legend
I have sold large quantities of books a few times over the last 20+ years. For the most part I sold them to downsize or just needed money so I dont regret it much. Though a few I wish I had kept, but alot were books Id probably never have used again. Nowadays I read what books I have left or the new ones I buy a little at a time as I need. For instance I just read the Infernal War Machine section of Descent into Avernus today for a game Im running tomorrow, but Id never read it completely or miss it if I didnt have it. Regardless my advice would be to keep them unless theres a reason to get rid of them.

It's solely been for space that I've gotten rid of RPG stuff. Way back when I was a skint undergrad, I got rid of bits and bobs when I was in need of cash, and I've spent way more since then requiring some of the things I got rid of. While I've re-purchased some RPG stuff, most of the books I got rid of have stayed gone. I think I've ended up re-buying maybe 3-5 3e and 4e books over the years since then.

The only books that worth really something (like 40$ a book) is the DnD 5ed Collector Box. Otherwise, it's pretty much 5$ for Pathfinder 1ed and 5-20$ for older DnD editions or stuff like Rogue Trader, Cyberpunk and Zweihander. But reading your comments put emphasis that I'll probably regret it in the long run. I don't need money neither I need the space, I just want to declutter my office but I'm still really attached to some of those books so I guess that if I get rid of them, it would be for the wrong reasons.

hedgeknight

Explorer
I buy and sell gaming books/modules/stuff all the time. If I'm not using it, I unload it. If I decide I want it again, I'll buy another. I've bought and sold the Red Hand of Doom module 3x at least. I'm not a hoarder with multiple "untouchable" copies of books/modules/stuff. I used to sell exclusively on eBay, but now I'm in a few Facebook groups who buy/sell/trade & auction off gaming materials > it's a lot of fun to participate and watch. To be honest, I have sold 4 books I wish I had kept > my first copies of the AD&D 1E PHB, DMG, and MM, and the 2E PHB. Those books had a lot of memories (signatures, colored pages) that I will never get back. I hope they are in good hands and being used often to create more great gaming memories.
So, long story short > sell 'em and wish 'em well.

Yora

Legend
I think I had bought pretty much any third edition splatbook that there was, and I sold all of them long ago. I read them once or twice, and usually there was nothing in them that I thought I'll ever use, so I sold them soon after. And then later sold the rest of them when I was done with third edition.
I now have only one left, and that really only because it makes for a good mousepad when sitting on the couch.

Remove ads