• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you show players monster pictures?

Bootlebat

Explorer
I usually do since in a lot of cases the description doesn't do it justice IMO (a picture is worth a thousand words after all). If they aren't supposed to know what it is yet I'll cover up the statblock though.

Bawylie

A very OK person
Yea definitely. Particularly if it’s a monster that’s “off the beaten path.” And I’ll usually time it after the description, basically around the end of round 1.

Mad_Jack

Legend
If it's not something they'd already be familiar with, especially if it's a custom thing, absolutely. Assuming I can find an image that does justice to the feel I want the monster to have.
Also, if i want my versions of the monsters to have a slightly different ambiance than the standard interpretation - i.e., if I'm running Tucker's Kobolds instead of Meepo, you can bet I'll be flashing an image that paints them more like a pack of vicious, slavering, cunning humanoid velociraptors rather than cute little anthro lizard-puppies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
More often than not, I try to have a picture or mini to show to players, at least for the more unusual stuff.

Since I tend to buy a lot of minis- and USE them- I tend to use minis more than pictures.

Tallifer

Hero
It is the best part of being a dungeon master for me!

Easy on roll20, but nowadays I can run face-to-face at my school after hours and use the overhead beam projector.

Basque.jpg

Remove ads