• No

Votes: 122 53.3%
  • Maybe? I could me convinced.

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • Lemon

Votes: 4 1.7%

Steel_Wind

Legend
If WotC is serious about this, they will have to create a toolset similar to the Aurora toolset for NWN1 -- and ideally, just as easy to use by Trent Oster's grandmother as the Aurora toolset was -- based on the Unreal 5 engine (their stated licensed game/lighting engine). And then, they have to provide a playspace for it in terms of connectivity and moderated gameplay.

They can't send assets of that size dynamically over IP. So it appears to me that there will be a player code and subscription for players to be able to use this. THAT is a revenue generator as there is NO WAY that be free for player use. Players must pay, too.

Make no mistake: this is a MAJOR undertaking. If they were smart, they would under-promise and over-deliver. I fear the opposite has already taken place.

We'll see!

GreyLord

Legend
I don't need one personally, but I have no problem with it existing. I'd want one for those who want one, it personally is good to see others happy in that manner. I don't care either way, no strong feelings, but I always want to play in person if I can (though if another pandemic comes around or the pandemic gets really bad again, a VTT wouldn't be a bad thing to have on hand to use when we want to stay separated from each other physically).

So...I chose Lemon.

Stormonu

Legend
Video qued up to that point.
#1 - It's not going to look that good on release
#2 - It's going to crash every 5 minutes until it's 6 months or older

I mean, it's certainly eye-catching, but it isn't going to be working properly for a good long time. And it will never perform as well as in the video, ever. Especially not on some of these potato PCs a lot of folks have.

#1 - It's not going to look that good on release
#2 - It's going to crash every 5 minutes until it's 6 months or older

I mean, it's certainly eye-catching, but it isn't going to be working properly for a good long time. And it will never perform as well as in the video, ever. Especially not on some of these potato PCs a lot of folks have.
It’s going to be less intensive than many older video games, and there is going to be a beta for it.

Simply assuming stuff will suck is stupid when we have so little other than some stuff that looks good.

Steel_Wind

Legend
a VTT wouldn't be a bad thing to have on hand to use when we want to stay separated from each other physically).
My current gaming group's members (2 campaigns)

DM: Scarborough, ON: EST
1 Player: Saint John, N.B.: AST
2 Players: Vaughan ON: EST
1 Player: Penticton B.C.: PST
1 Player: Berkeley, CA: PST
1 Player: Oakland, CA: PST
1 Player: Fresno, CA: PST
1 Player: Los Angeles, CA: PST

We couldn't play together physically anymore if we tried. I've played face-to-face in the past with three of those players (for many years, one of them since 1980). I have played with most of those in California virtually since 2010.

Moral of the Story: VTTs are not just for pandemics. If there was a monthly fee for this promised VTT (of great quality) that each of us had to pay? WoW cost, @$15/month sort of thing? They would each pay, no question about it at all.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
People questioned who would spend the money for 3D tabletop terrain from companies like Dwarven Forge... too expensive, takes up too much space, have to pre-build everything, etc. And yet Dwarven Forge have been thriving. Mainly cause the terrain just looks darn cool and there are people who have the cash and are willing to spend it on their hobby. Yes, there are still plenty of people happy to still use dry-erase grid boards for their maps, but DF has its supporters.

I foresee WotC's 3D VTT to be the same sort of thing.

Won't be for everyone... but there will be enough people who find it fun and useful that it will probably work out.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases