• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do you want new settings, character-types, and monsters?

Nebulous

Legend
The only old setting I might buy would be Dark Sun. And that is mostly because I only played DS once and never bought it so I wouldn't mind buying it in a 5E edition. (I mean if I was going to play it then I would buy it, and I would rather have a 5E version than a 2E version.)

I would be interested in a Moonsea source book. Or perhaps another region book like SCAG. Not that I'm a Realms supporter, but sticking with the Realms is a good business decision and having anther region detailed would allow for different tropes and not require any new races or classes, yet could support some new monsters and spells and items.

I didn't get to play a lot of Dark Sun either in 2e, so I wouldn't mind diving in with both feet and really indulge in the setting. As for the Realms, that would be great if they could explore some more of the setting, maybe even a part that hasn't really been looked at much before.

oreofox

Explorer
New settings? Reprint of older settings? Not really. I have my own homebrew setting so would have no use for them. However, setting books are great to yoink from. I've done that with Eberron, and I've done that in previous editions (including Pathfinder), taking what I like from the other settings and placing them into my own.

New character types? As in classes or subclasses? Yes to both. I could always use more options for my players (and myself when I am a player in someone else's game, which doesn't happen often). I do have plenty of subclasses I've grabbed from all over the internet and some I've made myself.

New monsters? Yes absolutely. And by new, I mean both brand new and old ones converted up to 5e. New monsters are always a great addition. Just don't do another Volo's where half the damn book is lore grounded in Forgotten Realms, as I have absolutely no use for that. I want a monster book that's a monster book, like the Monster Manual. Make a SCAG-like book for the monster lore.

Also, new races might be good. While I have all the races in my setting, I could always use more published ones to maybe yoink an ability that fits the race more.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Hmm, yeah Dark Sun would be the one I was interested in if I didn't have pretty much all that stuff already. Old books can be great sources of inspiration though.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
What genres, niches, or sparks of imagination do you have for new settings/campaigns, either as an unexplored portion of a pre-existing setting or a brand new one?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I still want a new official Birthright (though the 3e conversion and PF Kingdom rules has filled the niche)

• Birthright: Long ago a bunch of gods died and heroic mortals gained their divine energy. One or more of your PCs is a descendant of those heroes.
    • Last supported edition: Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, unofficial porting to 3e taking place at Birthright.net. The 5e Dungeon Master's Guide actually mentioned it as a potential location for adventures and/or planar jaunts, though, which is more than most previous editions gave it, so who knows what the future holds?.
  • Tékumel: The vary first setting ever to be published, and by TSR no less. An elaborate fantasy world based on Eastern themes. A whole language was build around it.
    • Last supported edition: Original Dungeons & Dragons (Although the game branched off D&D long ago to become its own thing. Its is currently in its fifth edition, under a whole new rule-set.).

I didnt realise Tekumel was started life as a DnD setting, thats fascinating considering how differently it has developed

Mahasarpa asa fully developed setting with unique classes and creatures could be really interesting too.

Shiroiken

Legend
Old settings are likely to be reused before new ones for the same reason it's easier to make a sequel of a bad movie than a new one: name recognition. People are more comfortable buying into something they either already know something about or have heard about than something completely new. That's not to say that they can't come up with a good new setting (I don't care for Eberron, but it obviously became one of the most popular very quickly), just that they already have existing material that will be easier to sell.

New character concepts should be done as sub-classes, except in the case of setting specific needs (e.g. the artificer). The only new class I'd like to see that's setting neutral would be the psion/mystic, and maybe a swordmage type (fighter/wizard to paladin's fighter/cleric). I think 3E & 4E showed us the downside of class glut, and I don't want 5E to follow down that route. Subclasses work better IMO, because they usually only impact a few levels, while leaving the basic aspect for the class the same.

New monsters are always useful, but they should be carefully thought out. Making random new monsters just for the sake of having them isn't helpful, since many DMs need to have some reason for them to exist in their world if they want to use them. Certain monsters, like the Terrasque (sp?), can have an epic impact on a setting merely by existing.

oreofox

Explorer
Hmm, yeah Dark Sun would be the one I was interested in if I didn't have pretty much all that stuff already. Old books can be great sources of inspiration though.

While I agree with you about not really needing something like a new Dark Sun setting book (or Greyhawk, etc) as the older ones are still useful, the downside to that is the older ones are rather tough to come by. Sure, there's the DMsGuild with all the older AD&D pdfs up for sale, not everyone likes pdfs (I know I prefer physical). Though, I will admit I haven't looked into what's offered in that regards on that site, or if PoD is available for them. I've got plenty of old books that I could use for setting info (if I used non-homebrew setting), so a new Dark Sun or Greyhawk setting book wouldn't hold much interest. Unless, of course, it was more like the Eberron book and not like the SCAG book.

A Dark Sun book (while I have no interest at all in that setting) that converts some of the more unique aspects of the setting to 5e (monsters, spells, classes, subclasses, races, etc) would be far more useful over one that just retreads the lore (which can be found on a website where people have compiled all the lore, similar to the FR wiki thing).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
.... but I want the game to push the boundaries.

The problem with pushing boundaries is that it often fails to work out. I don't need pushed boundaries, really. It can be pretty basic in its rules structures, and I'm fine with that.

What I would like to see is them find a new Dragonlance that fixes the one problem with Dragonlance.

The basic problem with Dragonlance was that it was an evocative world, but they opened with having canonical characters solve the biggest conflict in the setting, the conflict that arguable made the setting what it was. I know lots of folks still have fun with it, but I have a hard time finding any other game set in the War of the Lance to be anything other than anticlimactic.

Find some decent author(s). Have them tell a story in an awesome, evocative setting, but not THE story of that setting. Make sure what they write implies lots of other stories going on, that the heroes of their story aren't doing the one thing that matters or makes the setting cool. Then, once you know you've got hooks in us, give us that setting to also play in.

This, I can get behind. I probably don't need another setting made to be a setting.

Last edited:

Remove ads