D&D 5E Do you want your DM to fudge?

As a player, do you want your DM to fudge? (with the same answer choices as that other poll).

• Yes

Votes: 47 23.7%
  • Almost never

Votes: 77 38.9%
  • No, never

Votes: 74 37.4%

Skyscraper

Explorer
I'm not sure what you mean - battles include roleplaying since you're making decisions your character might also make. Inspiration is just a reward for making decisions consistent with established characterization (specifically, personality traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws from backgrounds). For example, if the soldier fighter has a flaw of "My hatred for my enemies is blind and unreasoning," then rushing headlong into a nasty fight without preparation means the player is roleplaying consistent with established characterization - and that's worthy of Inspiration in my view. If that's a thing one wants in the game, then creating an incentive to do it makes sense. If you don't want the DM to sit in judgment of it (or, if you're like me, and don't want to keep track of 12 to 16 background traits), however, then you can leave it to players acting in good faith to award it to themselves.

I'm all for flavorful RP. What I don't like is that there is an incentive of the DM, namely one of the players around the table; and then the PC (a character) receives a reward in the form of a bonus for another action, simply because the RP by another player was consistent with the PC's background. That's metagaming. You can like that it works this way, but to me it's metagaming.

I also don't like that the player will be conditioned to play along predetermined lines of RP because that's what will get him the candy. I prefer to let the players create whatever they wish.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I'm all for flavorful RP. What I don't like is that there is an incentive of the DM, namely one of the players around the table; and then the PC (a character) receives a reward in the form of a bonus for another action, simply because the RP by another player was consistent with the PC's background. That's metagaming. You can like that it works this way, but to me it's metagaming.

Are you referring to how Inspiration can be earned by one player and given to another who hasn't earned it? Because I don't advocate that.

I also don't like that the player will be conditioned to play along predetermined lines of RP because that's what will get him the candy. I prefer to let the players create whatever they wish.

How do you like experience points then? Do they not condition players to fight monsters and overcome noncombat challenges? Or, if you're using milestone XP, follow the storyline?

Or is your objection to the example personality traits, ideals, bond, and flaws in the PHB? (Which are just that - examples. Players can make their own and they can even change over time as the character develops.)

Zak S

I've never seen xp condition anyone to do anything. Players just do whatever.

Once in a while they'll go "Ok, what next?" and someone will go "Well there's gold behind that monster..." but that's about it.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
He's just been acting that way towards me a lot lately and I give what I get.
If anything I've said has read as meanness directed at you, I place the cause of that with you choosing to assume that I am being mean when you could just as easily assume I intended some other tone - since tone doesn't transfer well in text without certain word choices like the "too bad for you" that you chose to include (and even then, I choose to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you are just arguing your point, not trying to belittle me).

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I've never seen xp condition anyone to do anything. Players just do whatever.
I've seen a few players alter their behavior to match what they perceive gives them the highest number of XP in the shortest amount of time or least amount of effort, though my experience mirrors yours that players mostly just do whatever.

Incidentally, I just finished GMing a modulefor our group and asked the players to fill in a survey that, among others, contained just this question. Outcome: 5/5 players voted "No!". So, I'll keep rolling rolls out in the open (except stuff like secret perception checks or whatever)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Okay, so finally one of the three fudging threads has fallen off the first page, so I admire the tenacity of everyone still trying to make this such an issue worthy of continued discussion that two of them are remaining active. But isn't the fact they both seem to have devolved into [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] vs. The World that perhaps it's run it's course? I mean... I dropped out of the convo a while ago since I said my piece on the subject and everyone who was against me just plays the game differently than I do (so none of their reasons to explain why what I did wasn't a good course didn't actually refer to my playstyle). Is there really anything worth it to say on the subject that hasn't already been said (and disagreed with to no avail?)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Okay, so finally one of the three fudging threads has fallen off the first page, so I admire the tenacity of everyone still trying to make this such an issue worthy of continued discussion that two of them are remaining active. But isn't the fact they both seem to have devolved into [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] vs. The World that perhaps it's run it's course? I mean... I dropped out of the convo a while ago since I said my piece on the subject and everyone who was against me just plays the game differently than I do (so none of their reasons to explain why what I did wasn't a good course didn't actually refer to my playstyle). Is there really anything worth it to say on the subject that hasn't already been said (and disagreed with to no avail?)

Since when are a couple people the world?

Zak S

Is there really anything worth it to say on the subject that hasn't already been said (and disagreed with to no avail?)

Since we don't yet know the answer to either of these questions:

So this is the hypothetical:

You fudge.

I ask "Do you fudge?"

You go "You are out of the game for not trusting me"
(Even though you do actually fudge.)

Is that right?

and
Exceeds the mathematical bounds of the encounter to such a great degree that it is going to kill off the party no matter what they do or have done. The game designs encounters based on level and the math reflects that. Since it does, it's impossible for it to take extremes into account.

Can you give an example? I can't think of any situation like that which wouldn't require extreme railroading.

...and the purpose of discussion is to walk away knowing more than you started then, yes, by definition there is some thing worth it to say on the subject that hasn't already been said.

Tony Vargas

Legend
There hasn't been a single person yet in any thread that has proven that fudging is wrong or untrustworthy.
There's no way to 'prove' it as it's a value judgment, it's just a matter of whether you can tolerate or accommodate alternate views.

For instance, when asked, I said that, yes, a player who wasn't comfortable with the idea of 'fudging,' should bring it up, and that I'd be able to meet him at least half-way, by taking rolls that only affected his character out from behind the screen. (I'd note that in that same hypothetical there was no suggestion that other things, like monster stats for example, get the same treatment, the issue seems to be primarily one of comfort with the random element.)

Going much further than that would cross a line between accommodating the preferences one player, and letting one player dictate to the whole table how to play the game.

Remove ads