D&D 5E Do you want your DM to fudge?

As a player, do you want your DM to fudge? (with the same answer choices as that other poll).

• Yes

Votes: 47 23.7%
  • Almost never

Votes: 77 38.9%
  • No, never

Votes: 74 37.4%

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
There's no way to 'prove' it as it's a value judgment, it's just a matter of whether you can tolerate or accommodate alternate views.

For instance, when asked, I said that, yes, a player who wasn't comfortable with the idea of 'fudging,' should bring it up, and that I'd be able to meet him at least half-way, by taking rolls that only affected his character out from behind the screen. (I'd note that in that same hypothetical there was no suggestion that other things, like monster stats for example, get the same treatment, the issue seems to be primarily one of comfort with the random element.)

Going much further than that would cross a line between accommodating the preferences one player, and letting one player dictate to the whole table how to play the game.

Agreed. Because in order to arrive at an answer we would have to first determine if every rule in every situation in this game produces the 'correct' result. Or from a different perspective, a 'fair' result.

That is also basically impossible to answer before determining what fair is. What are we trying to accomplish with the rules? The way they are written, most of us would probably agree they are relatively fair most of the time. But using a d20 as the primary design element is more likely to provide 'unfair' results than a pool of dice, for example. It can certainly be more exciting, but a 20th level character that dies because of a failed climbing check doesn't seem inherently 'fair' for example. At least not to a lot of people.

So the best we can do is have a discussion about under what circumstances fudging is acceptable to most people when playing this particular ruleset. There will always be a few that say 'never,' and that's fine.

For me, the purpose of the rules is to provide a bit of impartial randomness to determine the outcome os situations that usually have far more (known and unknown) variables than we can account for. I like the rules to be able to reasonably model what I would expect in a magic-capable fantasy world based on our world.

Some places where this fails for me (which is where I add house rules) are things like injuries, disease, and other maladies that have a significant impact for a longer amount of time than hit points simulate. But that's an actual change to the rules. We are looking solely at whether or not, once the rules are in place, if that die roll, that 'impartial randomness' is sacred and should never be questioned.

I think it should. Occasionally. One example is a mistake or miscalculation made by the DM. One could say that this is just part of the world, 'fate' if you will, but others feel that a mistake made on the part of the DM shouldn't penalize the players or their characters.

Another situation would be the absurd. That 20th level character that rolls a '1' on their climb check, and doesn't have a safety net (like feather fall) to save them. In the current rules, a '1' isn't automatic failure for a skill check, but this is an event that could happen (Strength drained character for example). One could argue that this is a situation where it is again set up by a 'mistake' of the DM. That is, if you aren't willing to accept the consequences of a failed check, then don't make a check. Even if that consequence is that you don't think it's possible for them to fail the check.

Another thread is perhaps helpful here. In that thread, a character is reduced to a '0' Intelligence by an intellect devourer, but isn't killed. There is no mechanism in the rules to regain the Intelligence outside of magic the party doesn't have, and might not have for several sessions. The DM won't allow a second character, since this one hasn't died, so does the player just hang out at the table to several sessions, or do they 'fudge' a solution (assuming that the paladin and cleric in question won't willingly kill the character).

The consensus in that thread is that the player should be provided an option to play, whether that's changing the state of her character, or some other means (like a second character). Many suggest that the situation shouldn't have existed to start, that is a DM mistake. Other than the original post, I don't think anybody advocated that 'them's the rules, so deal with it.' So there is some tolerance to change (fudge) the situation to make it workable.

So the question that most likely applies to most groups is not whether or not fudging of any sort is allowed or not, but to what extent? Should the players know that the fudging occurred? Does it fundamentally change the quality and enjoyment of the game? Why?

There's another way to look at it. Suppose that the table rule is no fudging. Period. Now, you come across a situation that the rule doesn't account for. You follow the rules religiously (no fudging), and then decide after the fact to change the rule. This is the approach generally taken by professional sports. But if the rule is going to change, because the inadequacy of the rule is recognized by the group, why not make that change immediately, or at least 'fudge' things to make it acceptable and work out the details afterwards? It's not a competition, and we aren't trying to maintain the integrity of performance statistics from one decade to the next. Is this really necessary?

For D&D, and more specifically the OD&D, BECMI, 1st, 2nd, 5th and to a large degree the 3rd editions, I'd say no. Why am I pulling out those editions specifically? Because the basic underlying concept of the game includes that of the DM as a referee, to make judgement calls, interpret the rules, and apply them. The DM has the authority to override the results if they determine they do not fit.

Of course, for Original D&D and BE(CMI) this was largely out of necessity. There are just a lot of things that aren't covered in the rules, and the DM has to wing it. As 2nd and 3rd edition added more and more rules, it simultaneously made it more difficult to wing it (because you might contradict a rule, or upset balance), and reduced the acceptance for the DM overriding an existing rule or fudging because it's, well, against the rules.

Another factor that has come into play with the complexity of the rules is that there are a lot more rules for the players now. Through 1st edition in particular, the expectation was that the DM knew the rules, and would handle that side of things. The players needed to know their spells, AC, and hit points. They didn't even have the attack matrices originally. So they just rolled and asked 'did I hit?' Now that the players know more about the rules (in some cases more than the DM), and the rules often require interpretation, there are questions about how those rules are interpreted, and the players and the DM don't always agree.

Mistrust of the DM is more likely to occur when players think the DM is singling them out, that that remarkable string of attacks and hits against their character isn't fair and the DM must be picking on them. Perhaps a DM fudges by adding a few more creatures, or bumping up hit points because they determine that an encounter is way too easy. Not my preference, but I could roll with it. On the other hand, a DM bumping up an attack roll by a monster would be unacceptable, cheating, and a good sign that the DM has a 'me against them' attitude. This is the type of circumstance that makes groups roll all dice in the open. But that approach also takes away some unknowns (was my Perception or Investigation check high enough that I know there is nothing there, or did I just roll poorly?), but it also makes it much harder, although not impossible, for the DM to fudge. He can still change stats, add or remove monsters, etc. but if that creature just scored a critical on the last character standing and the only one who can stabilize and save the rest of the party, there's no changing that if the dice are in the open.

On the other hand, most people would consider 'fudging' by a player to be cheating, so why isn't it cheating for the DM? My answer would be that the DM has to manage an entire world's worth of rules and checks, and that sometimes, whether by DM mistake, poorly written rules, or other situations that aren't taken into account just prior to the roll create a result that is considered unacceptable by the DM.

Ironically enough, most of the actual fudging that I've seen is in the player's favor. So perhaps it's more of a question of whether it's fair between players, rather than fair to the game? To make sure the DM isn't playing favorites?

And I guess I don't really get that, because I've never been in a situation where the group felt that there was even the possibility that I'm singling somebody out or being unfair. Sure, there have been a player or two, as well as a few rulings, but the rest of the group have just said, no, there's no issue, and we're sticking with the way we play (with many of the rolls in secret).

So to me, the fundamental nature of the game requires some leeway on the part of the DM, whether that applies to dice rolls, or modifying encounters on the fly, is very situational. These are much less likely to come up in short casual play, and much more likely to be not only necessary, but important to the campaign for a long-running campaign.

Ilbranteloth

Zak S

It can certainly be more exciting, but a 20th level character that dies because of a failed climbing check doesn't seem inherently 'fair' for example. At least not to a lot of people.

...and it does to a lot of other people.

Those diverging opinions appeared about 20 seconds after D&D was invented. What's interesting is why opinions differ, not the naked fact that they do.

Also:
There's another way to look at it. Suppose that the table rule is no fudging. Period. Now, you come across a situation that the rule doesn't account for. You follow the rules religiously (no fudging), and then decide after the fact to change the rule. This is the approach generally taken by professional sports. But if the rule is going to change, because the inadequacy of the rule is recognized by the group, why not make that change immediately, or at least 'fudge' things to make it acceptable and work out the details afterwards? It's not a competition, and we aren't trying to maintain the integrity of performance statistics from one decade to the next. Is this really necessary?

If the rules don't cover something, you make a call and then make sure everyone is cool with it and then move on and keep it consistent forever or until everyone in the group is ok with changing it.

This is unrelated to fudging.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
If the rules don't cover something, you make a call and then make sure everyone is cool with it and then move on and keep it consistent forever or until everyone in the group is ok with changing it.

This is unrelated to fudging.

So the circumstance where the DM realizes that there is no rule in 5th ed to handle a character being reduced to 0 Intelligence, so the DM modifies the roll to lose only 2 Intelligence instead of 3, so the player is left with 1 when the intellect devourer is killed isn't related?

I think that the DM recognizing situations like that are exactly where they might choose to fudge rather than deal with the shortcoming in the rules.

Ilbranteloth

Zak S

So the circumstance where the DM realizes that there is no rule in 5th ed to handle a character being reduced to 0 Intelligence, so the DM modifies the roll to lose only 2 Intelligence instead of 3, so the player is left with 1 when the intellect devourer is killed isn't related?

I think that the DM recognizing situations like that are exactly where they might choose to fudge rather than deal with the shortcoming in the rules.

Ilbranteloth

In the situation you just described, the GM fudges.

I the situation I describe above, the GM "deals with the shortcoming of the rules" by making a new rule and getting it ratified, which isn't fudging.

Those are two different things. If I misinterpreted your original comment I apologize.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
There's no way to 'prove' it as it's a value judgment, it's just a matter of whether you can tolerate or accommodate alternate views.

For instance, when asked, I said that, yes, a player who wasn't comfortable with the idea of 'fudging,' should bring it up, and that I'd be able to meet him at least half-way, by taking rolls that only affected his character out from behind the screen. (I'd note that in that same hypothetical there was no suggestion that other things, like monster stats for example, get the same treatment, the issue seems to be primarily one of comfort with the random element.)

Going much further than that would cross a line between accommodating the preferences one player, and letting one player dictate to the whole table how to play the game.

Again, I really have to ask, when you do something secretly that you KNOW the people around you don't want you to do, and the reason you keep it secret is to prevent them from having any input into what you are doing, how is that not inherently dishonest?

And, again, we have [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION]'s reaction to being questioned about fudging is to boot me from the table. I'm thinking that that might make me somewhat reluctant to bring it up. My other alternative is to be treated like a pariah at the table, every single session, where the DM has to roll in front of me and only me, but, everything else is done behind the screen. Again, not exactly fostering a healthy table.

Why is "Please let the dice fall where they may" such a horrible thing? I'm "dictating" to the table? Not at all, since the table isn't fudging, only the DM. What if two players say no fudging? Does that matter? Simple majority? What?

AFAIC, if one person at the table says, "Hey, I don't like this, can we not do it" then we don't do it. End of story. No player should be forced to play in a way they don't want. Especially when the issue at hand is something that is so easily fixable.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
In the situation you just described, the GM fudges.

I the situation I describe above, the GM "deals with the shortcoming of the rules" by making a new rule and getting it ratified, which isn't fudging.

Those are two different things. If I misinterpreted your original comment I apologize.

No need to apologize, you were correct as well. There is more than one 'solution' to a given scenario. The question still remains as to whether one is better than the other, and I'm still not sure there is a right answer. Just group preference.

Ilbranteloth

Zak S

No need to apologize, you were correct as well. There is more than one 'solution' to a given scenario. The question still remains as to whether one is better than the other, and I'm still not sure there is a right answer. Just group preference.

Ilbranteloth

Yeah it's definitely a taste issue, the interesting question is what you gain and lose with each approach.

As far as I can tell you lose things the challenge-oriented player wants by fudging and lose things the drama-oriented player values by not fudging.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Again, I really have to ask, when you do something secretly that you KNOW the people around you don't want you to do, and the reason you keep it secret is to prevent them from having any input into what you are doing, how is that not inherently dishonest?

And, again, we have [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION]'s reaction to being questioned about fudging is to boot me from the table. I'm thinking that that might make me somewhat reluctant to bring it up. My other alternative is to be treated like a pariah at the table, every single session, where the DM has to roll in front of me and only me, but, everything else is done behind the screen. Again, not exactly fostering a healthy table.

Why is "Please let the dice fall where they may" such a horrible thing? I'm "dictating" to the table? Not at all, since the table isn't fudging, only the DM. What if two players say no fudging? Does that matter? Simple majority? What?

I agree, you shouldn't do something secretly that you know others don't want to do.

"Please let the dice fall where they may" is not a horrible thing. It's just a thing. Just like folks who prefer to let the DM have the right to fudge should they feel it's necessary. Neither is inherently right or wrong.

The problem you are describing is one of consensus. First, as a DM, if the question arises I will happily tell them that there are occasions, as rare as they may be, that I might consider fudging the dice. If the players object, then I certainly don't have to do that, and that's fine. I can roll with that. But what if they players don't come to a consensus. I think majority rules in this situation makes sense, but if it's a two for and two against, then at my table it's likely to swing in the favor of fudging, simply because I'm the deciding vote.

AFAIC, if one person at the table says, "Hey, I don't like this, can we not do it" then we don't do it. End of story. No player should be forced to play in a way they don't want. Especially when the issue at hand is something that is so easily fixable.

If the rest of the table doesn't care, sure. But your assumption is that your objection to not allowing it is not met by somebody else's objection to allow it. Now what, you're at a table where one person objects and says that all dice must be rolled in the open, and somebody else who doesn't want to force that. Sure it's only the DM potentially fudging the dice, but that doesn't mean the rest of the table isn't entitled to a vote. Then it's not easily fixable.

What if that objection is by the DM? Why should the say of one player override the DM? Why isn't it "I'm inviting you to come play in my sandbox, and here are the rules"?

I'm not saying I wouldn't choose to accommodate that player, but why should it be the default? Shouldn't the other players have a say? How much time should each person have to make their case before a ruling is made and the game can commence?

Does it apply for every rule? What if the DM doesn't allow optional rules? No feats. No uncommon races. Does that mean that you're entitled to bring a drow ranger, or a variant human with crossbow expertise simply because you're one player who says "Hey, I don't like this"?

Does it apply to every table? If you sat down at Ed Greenwood's, Chris Perkins, Mike Mearls, or Ernie Gygax's table, would you feel entitled to be the deciding vote of one?

I'm happy to agree to not fudge, and if I agree to it, I won't. But I've been playing a long time, and I really feel that for certain types of rolls, the players shouldn't see the results. I much prefer that when you are using a lot of skills, such as investigation, perception, deception, persuasion, etc. that you don't see the roll. So I'm not a big fan of all rolls being in the open.

If that's what the group wants, then fine, I'll go with it. If it's just a single player, then it's a bit tougher. I don't want to single out somebody, but on the other hand, why am I forced to change my well-established game and methods at the behest of one player? Even if the rest of the group is indifferent?

The reality is, if you were to sit at my table, I suspect we might differ in approach in a lot of ways. In which case it might make sense for one or the other to decide that we aren't a good match. I'm always willing to give it a try, but I also think there is no shame in two adults deciding that they are playing two different games and amicably go their own way.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to get a sense as to what you, or others for that matter, consider fair when a choice like this comes up. I certainly don't agree with the "boot you from my table" approach, but I'm not sure a one-player veto is the answer either.

Ilbranteloth

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

I would not do something secretly that I KNOW the people around me don't want me to do. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that. Also, if only one person doesn't want it, I can try to keep that in mind and not fudge against that person, but I'm not going to stop completely for just one person.

It's a matter of approach. If someone says to me, "I was online and a discussion about fudging came up and I agreed with those that didn't like it.", that would be fine. That's just expressing an opinion and not a lack of trust in the DM. Direct questioning about whether I do it or not shows a lack of trust, and I'm not going to have someone in the game that doesn't trust me. That's just asking for game disruption and I won't do that to myself or the rest of the players. The player with the lack of trust should really want to go find another game anyway. Nobody should have to play with a DM they don't trust.

No player should also force his way on all of the others, either. If one player wants me to do something one way, and the other three don't, the one player is out of luck. If three want something one way and one doesn't, the one is out of luck. If it's a tie, I break the tie.

The exception is if the other three agree to go along with what the one player wants, even if they don't want it done. I play with a group of close friends, so this is usually, but not always the case.

Nagol

Unimportant
<snip lots>

<snip more>

For the group to judge acceptability, it needs to know (a) the current expected state and (b) the proposed new state. If there is a problem and the DM informs the group and solicits its input to institute a change, it is not being fudged. If it is being fudged, it is not conforming to what the group thinks is a new appropriate ruling, it is conforming to what the DM alone thinks is appropriate in the heat of the moment. Indeed, it is unlikely the group will ever be informed that such a ruling and expectation change occurred.

Mistrust of the DM is more likely to occur when players think the DM is singling them out, that that remarkable string of attacks and hits against their character isn't fair and the DM must be picking on them. Perhaps a DM fudges by adding a few more creatures, or bumping up hit points because they determine that an encounter is way too easy. Not my preference, but I could roll with it. On the other hand, a DM bumping up an attack roll by a monster would be unacceptable, cheating, and a good sign that the DM has a 'me against them' attitude. This is the type of circumstance that makes groups roll all dice in the open. But that approach also takes away some unknowns (was my Perception or Investigation check high enough that I know there is nothing there, or did I just roll poorly?), but it also makes it much harder, although not impossible, for the DM to fudge. He can still change stats, add or remove monsters, etc. but if that creature just scored a critical on the last character standing and the only one who can stabilize and save the rest of the party, there's no changing that if the dice are in the open.

It is not mistrust. When we agree to the campaign to play, we agreed to the rules that would be used to adjudicate action and consequence. The DM has a lot of latitude as to how to apply those rules. So much, in fact, that alteration of fate as decreed by the dice after the DM has assigned the probabilities and stakes is gilding the lily. Making the alteration covertly and not informing the group about the change starts to place the DM's preferences for result above the group's.

On the other hand, most people would consider 'fudging' by a player to be cheating, so why isn't it cheating for the DM? My answer would be that the DM has to manage an entire world's worth of rules and checks, and that sometimes, whether by DM mistake, poorly written rules, or other situations that aren't taken into account just prior to the roll create a result that is considered unacceptable by the DM.

Ironically enough, most of the actual fudging that I've seen is in the player's favor. So perhaps it's more of a question of whether it's fair between players, rather than fair to the game? To make sure the DM isn't playing favorites?

<snip more>

I don't want to be saved. I'm running my character to the best of my ability. If it fails or falls, so be it. Generally, my group doesn't want to be saved. We are acting through the situations to the best of our abilities and if we fail that simply leads to new situations to explore. If we fall, so be it. There's always the next group or a new campaign.

Remove ads