• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spoilers Doctor Who 2024 (spoilers)

aco175

Legend
I have not seen them, but after seeing that Disney took over and the 4 part special- I was thinking that it is not for me anymore.

Staffan

Legend
RTD did that in 2005 too. Went silly with man-eating wheelie bins to introduce then got darker... then did farting aliens. I love his operatic character stuff, but his kiddie stuff... well, I guess the show is for kids too!
The way I see it is that you need the silly stuff (to an extent) because then the character stuff hits that much harder. That was one of 11's big strengths, that he could do both the childish stuff and then flick the "ancient Time Lord" switch and become absolutely terrifying.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
The way I see it is that you need the silly stuff (to an extent) because then the character stuff hits that much harder. That was one of 11's big strengths, that he could do both the childish stuff and then flick the "ancient Time Lord" switch and become absolutely terrifying.
One of my favorite things about DW is how agile it is at switching from silly and funny to serious and horrific. I think it's one of the things that kids like about it - kids like to be scared, but they don't like a sustained scare.

Vael

Legend
While it's fun seeing DW with D+ money ... still not enough to make the Space Babies mouths move in a way that wasn't deeply Uncanny Valley for me.

Meanwhile, just letting Jinx Monsoon cut loose as the Maestro is enough to terrify.

That said, dunno. I enjoyed the rides, but I do feel like something is missing.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I mean, they're probably not going to go down in history as the greatest Doctor Who episodes, but I felt they were solid, particularly given that Space Babies had to do all the exposition stuff and Devil's Chord reintroduces the Pantheon and opens up for more of the same (though I do think a little goes a long way).
Absolutely goes a long way. There’s been two gods as enemies in the last three episodes. I really hope that’s not the theme of the series.
That said, dunno. I enjoyed the rides, but I do feel like something is missing.
I liked the wobbly sets and bad makeup. I miss those.

Thoughts on Space babies, a fun and silly episode with some call backs to pervious episodes.

And so The Devil's Chord is what happens when you want to do an episode with The Beatles but can't afford the music. Jinkx clearly had fun with the role.

EDIT: So does the fact that a character played by actress Susan Twist has shown up in the back ground in each episode so far mean anything or not to you?

EDIT II: Another mention of "the One Who Waits", (anyone else automatically think of The Dresden Files Outsiders?)

Last edited:

Remove ads