Doctor Who teaser (launch Oct 31st)

GreyLord

Legend
Not sure if it’s a UK vs American thing, but I just cannot get into Doctor Who. I’ve tried a few times to watch it over the years , but it just seems so cheesy and low budjet.

That’s honestly not a criticism … more just an observation I guess. I know tons of folks in the UK that love the show, but any time I ask an American friend, coworker, etc., about the show, the universal response it ‘nope, not into that show at all!”

I’m honestly curious - is it just kind of more a British / UK thing to be into the show?

I'm not sure of low budget. It seems pretty good with special effects and other items with the modern series. The Original series from the 60s-90s had low budgets, but it wasn't the scenery that sold it, it was the story and characters.

With the Modern series I think the special effects and other items hold up with almost any show on TV today (at least to me). It is still the storyline and characters that sell it though.

I think Doctor Who actually has a bigger audience outside of the UK these days than within. At least that's been my impression. I travel among nations and I see more support overall for Doctor Who in the US and Canada than I have in the UK, though it is still there as well (obviously). It probably depends on who you hang out with and talk to on how much excitement you see over Doctor Who regardless of where you are in the world I suppose.

It may be that you are not around the type of crowd that are avid Doctor Who fans and hence don't see a lot of excitement for it among those you hang out with?

I'm not sure of low budget. It seems pretty good with special effects and other items with the modern series.
The reason the current series only has six episodes was so they could afford to make them on the budget. But I think it has far too many special effects, and they distract from story and humour. The show was much better when it spent four episodes investigating a stone circle in Devon.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think Doctor Who actually has a bigger audience outside of the UK these days than within. At least that's been my impression. I travel among nations and I see more support overall for Doctor Who in the US and Canada than I have in the UK, though it is still there as well (obviously).
Viewing figures are probably fairly easy to find.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Fewer people also watch shows live and the day of any more, so the "ratings" nonsense is usually pushed by clueless trolls. Bingers are also common now, especially with iPlayer, DVRs and streaming services prevalent.
Yeah, live viewing figures are down to about a third what they once were for most things.

Dausuul

Legend
Watching "Flux" now, it's a lot better than I expected. It does feel rather overstuffed, particularly in the first couple of episodes when we get a barrage of scenes that are clearly Significant but presented without context or apparent relevance. But once it gets going, it's a solid engaging story. Definitely some of Chibnall's best work since taking over the franchise.

Zardnaar

Legend
Watched the Dalek thing couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it.

Current season screens here for free but probably beont bother. Start watching again after Chibnall is gone burger.

we clearly have die hards here but the popularity of this show has dropped- the numbers are the numbers (the trend is right there on BBC reporting). New Who in the age of Covid has dropped sharply week to week The dvr/streaming thing is a poor excuse. The show was at its height during the Matt Smith era especially with the Ponds as companions. Thats when it spiked in the US and you could go to say a Newbury Comics and there would be a whole section devoted to it (that section has Shrunk). The 50th anniversary had specials galore and talks of bringing back the 8th dr and a possible US Dr.

Agreed on the special effects-they are sub par compared to say a Star Trek , Expanse etc. Not as bad as SYFY productions but bad. They were much much worse in the 60-90's era and probably lower budget than Lost in Space, original Trek, Twilight Zone etc. Its was for the most part carried due to performances such as Tom Baker and good stories

Theres a good reason both the dr and the producer are leaving. Its certainly not due to hidden ratings or good stories. Its not due to negativity of certain audience members. Its due to money. The show isnt making enough money to keep both/either . If it was you would hear about contract offers (Seinfeld, Big Big Theory, Friends didnt want to keep doing the same role but the money came in to continue the shows). The BBC is capable to spending money (Downtown Abbey)

The Russell Davies signing was BBC saying we need to fix this. They werent willing to take a chance on an unknown . I applaud them for it

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
we clearly have die hards here but the popularity of this show has dropped- the numbers are the numbers (the trend is right there on BBC reporting). New Who in the age of Covid has dropped sharply week to week The dvr/streaming thing is a poor excuse. The show was at its height during the Matt Smith era especially with the Ponds as companions. Thats when it spiked in the US and you could go to say a Newbury Comics and there would be a whole section devoted to it (that section has Shrunk). The 50th anniversary had specials galore and talks of bringing back the 8th dr and a possible US Dr.

Agreed on the special effects-they are sub par compared to say a Star Trek , Expanse etc. Not as bad as SYFY productions but bad. They were much much worse in the 60-90's era and probably lower budget than Lost in Space, original Trek, Twilight Zone etc. Its was for the most part carried due to performances such as Tom Baker and good stories

Theres a good reason both the dr and the producer are leaving. Its certainly not due to hidden ratings or good stories. Its not due to negativity of certain audience members. Its due to money. The show isnt making enough money to keep both/either . If it was you would hear about contract offers (Seinfeld, Big Big Theory, Friends didnt want to keep doing the same role but the money came in to continue the shows). The BBC is capable to spending money (Downtown Abbey)

The Russell Davies signing was BBC saying we need to fix this. They werent willing to take a chance on an unknown . I applaud them for it
It feels like you are arguing with somebody, but I can't figure out who!

Remove ads