D&D 5E Doctors & Daleks - Cubicle 7 Brings Doctor Who to D&D 5E

Cubicle 7 -- makers of the official Doctor Who roleplaying game -- has announced that the Doctor will officially be coming to 5E soon under the name Doctors and Daleks. There are no dates or details yet, over than that the Doctors and Daleks Player's Guide will launch 'soon'. A NEW COMPANION FOR YOUR ADVENTURES THROUGH ALL OF SPACE AND TIME! The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite...

Cubicle 7 -- makers of the official Doctor Who roleplaying game -- has announced that the Doctor will officially be coming to 5E soon under the name Doctors and Daleks. There are no dates or details yet, over than that the Doctors and Daleks Player's Guide will launch 'soon'.

dnd.jpg

A NEW COMPANION FOR YOUR ADVENTURES THROUGH ALL OF SPACE AND TIME!

The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite Time Lord comes to the world’s most popular roleplaying game in Doctors and Daleks. Take your gaming group into the TARDIS and travel anywhere, anywhen. Want to meet Leornado da Vinci? Or see what life is like in the year 3,000? What about another planet entirely? All of space and time is your Venusian macro-oyster, but keep your wits about you — there’s a lot of danger in the vastness of eternity.

We are delighted to announce that we are working on Doctors and Daleks – a new line of products that brings Doctor Who adventures to your table using 5th Edition rules! The first release – The Doctors and Daleks Player’s Guide will launch soon.

The wild adventures of everyone’s favourite Time Lord comes to the world’s most popular roleplaying game in Doctors and Daleks. Take your gaming group into the TARDIS and travel anywhere, anywhen.

We’ll also continue to support the new Second Edition of our award winning Doctor Who: The Roleplaying Game, with a host of new products on the way soon!

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Why don't we do more of that? Even in this thread, people are bashing DW5e without even any real information about it. Just seems... petty and cruel and more than a little ignorant and elitist. Just go: "Meh. Not for me. I'll go play this other game. Have your fun."
For me it’s that D&D is the black hole the eats all light. I’d love to be able to shrug and play something else. But I can’t. Because practically no one wants to play anything but D&D. This is evidenced in various threads. “I refuse to learn any other system.” People using D&D for every conceivable genre, no matter how poorly matched. Etc. Evidenced by the posted twitter thread “AiME dwarfed the sales of TOR.” Etc. If I offer to run a game using the systems I want to run, I get maybe five people interested over a week or so and if the game ever actually starts it falls apart in short order…because people would rather play D&D. If I offer to run D&D, I’m flooded with scores of replies inside an hour and have people literally begging to play. Not because I’m a good DM, rather because D&D is that much of a force. I’d love for the hobby side of RPGs to be robust enough to resist the black hole that is the D&D industry, but it’s simply not. It’s easier to hack D&D into nearly being unrecognizable and still have players lining up to play than it is to convince people to even consider not-D&D as an option.

Last edited:

Zehnseiter

Adventurer
For me it’s that D&D is the black hole the eats all light. I’d love to be able to shrug and play something else. But I can’t. Because practically no one wants to play anything but D&D. This is evidenced in various threads. “I refuse to learn any other system.” People using D&D for every conceivable genre, no matter how poorly matched.

People who come with that attitude have no place at my game table. Especially as we often do board game night as well. There you need to learn new rules as well for every game. I made clear to all my gaming pals that I am perfectly fine playing in a 5E game as player but I would refuse to GM it. End of discussion.

Turns nobody wanted to step up as GM. So we currently play something different.

But the to be fair here in Germany D&D was never the only game in town.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
People who come with that attitude have no place at my game table.
That would leave my table empty.
Especially as we often do board game night as well. There you need to learn new rules as well for every game. I made clear to all my gaming pals that I am perfectly fine playing in a 5E game as player but I would refuse to GM it. End of discussion.
Again, I’d have no one left.
Turns nobody wanted to step up as GM. So we currently play something different.
Most would rather not play than play not-D&D.
But the to be fair here in Germany D&D was never the only game in town.
I’m glad D&D hasn’t strangled everything everywhere yet. Add this to the long list of reasons I’d rather be in Germany.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Passion Products can also pay well.

See Dave Arneson, or Gary Gygax, or Penny Arcade, or Critical Role, etc etc etc
What is or isn't a passion project depends on why you do something. Do you do the thing for the love of the thing itself? Then it's a passion project. Do you do the thing for the money it will inevitably bring? Then it's not a passion project.

Arneson creating D&D, passion project. Gygax taking D&D and molding it into a mass market game, not so much. Penny Arcade I don't know anything about. Critical Role started as a passion project that turned into something that made money later. C7 taking a property they've had a license to for a decade and just now deciding to weld it to the most popular RPG...that's incredibly hard to see as anything but a cash grab. If they'd done that from the start, sure...maybe. But no, they have two editions of the stand-alone Doctor Who game already. They're so passionate about D&D 5E and Doctor Who that they didn't do that for the last eight years. Call me skeptical it's a passion project.

darjr

I crit!
What is or isn't a passion project depends on why you do something. Do you do the thing for the love of the thing itself? Then it's a passion project. Do you do the thing for the money it will inevitably bring? Then it's not a passion project.

Arneson creating D&D, passion project. Gygax taking D&D and molding it into a mass market game, not so much. Penny Arcade I don't know anything about. Critical Role started as a passion project that turned into something that made money later. C7 taking a property they've had a license to for a decade and just now deciding to weld it to the most popular RPG...that's incredibly hard to see as anything but a cash grab. If they'd done that from the start, sure...maybe. But no, they have two editions of the stand-alone Doctor Who game already. They're so passionate about D&D 5E and Doctor Who that they didn't do that for the last eight years. Call me skeptical it's a passion project.
If they wanted to make money, as great designers and talented writers there are probably a MILLION other things they could do and make TONS more money.

Sorry but I dint see it.

Edited: cause that wasn’t necessary.

Last edited:

Von Ether

Legend
For me it’s that D&D is the black hole the eats all light. I’d love to be able to shrug and play something else. But I can’t. Because practically no one wants to play anything but D&D. This is evidenced in various threads. “I refuse to learn any other system.” People using D&D for every conceivable genre, no matter how poorly matched. Etc. Evidenced by the posted twitter thread “AiME dwarfed the sales of TOR.” Etc. If I offer to run a game using the systems I want to run, I get maybe five people interested over a week or so and if the game ever actually starts it falls apart in short order…because people would rather play D&D. If I offer to run D&D, I’m flooded with scores of replies inside an hour and have people literally begging to play. Not because I’m a good DM, rather because D&D is that much of a force. I’d love for the hobby side or RPGs to be robust enough to resist the black hole that is the D&D industry, but it’s simply not. It’s easier to hack D&D into nearly being unrecognizable and still have players lining up to play than it is to convince people to even consider not-D&D as an option.

I hate to break it to you, but this was my beef with D&D during 2e! I couldn't stand D&D not only for some weird rules but for how you had to move heaven and earth to get people to try something different.

Even before the OGL and DMs Guild, I became a forever DM before college mostly because if I wanted to enjoy something other than D&D, I had to run it. During collage it was better. About 50% of the games were AD&D and of the other 50%, I DMed half.

Outside of college in a tiny podunk town, I tried to introduce Earthdawn and Storyteller and was told those were just rip offs of D&D. Ironically, the players with the least experience in the hobby were the most arrogant about it.

And when it looked like 2e was dying, people didn't diversify, they just played less until 3e came along. It did two big things, prove that you could tweak the game until it wasn't D&D and people would still play it (Mutants & Masterminds) and create a cottage industry of publishing hopefuls who yearned to see their name on a D&Dish book.

It's just the nature of D&D being the cornerstone of the hobby, but it's also proven to be the high tide that rises a lot of ships.

Remove ads

Remove ads