D&D (2024) Does anyone else think that 1D&D will create a significant divide in the community?

yes, you agree on common rules, like how exhaustion is handled, these are not char specific however.
so again... that is what I said. I can't bring the 2014 PHB and play in a 2024 without house ruleing over the changes... and once you are doing that you can bring in ANY d20 system sub system or most NON d20 ones with a varying success....

An argument that "I can take some things from this book and house rule it in" is basicly saying all wotc D&D in the last 24 years is compatible maybe every TTRPG
There is nothing stopping you from playing a 2014 cleric next to a 2024 cleric (or fighter…).
except you will not see it... like exhaustion and weather slow is a condition that will be a table choice not a personal one.
Yes, there will be differences, but nothing that makes it impossible to have them in the same game (including their relative power level).
nothing makes me house ruling a jedi into my game impossible, or a Brujiha... in fact my group HAS done those exact things dateing back to 1997. So that doesn't mean the games are compatible that means we can make up house rules to bend or bridge the games
There will be the same kind of differences between the 2014 classes/subclasses as between 2014 and 2024
not by the playtest.

I have seen no bard subclass that changes the bard as much as the 2024 playtest... please show your work, what subclass changes spell selection, makes them spell prep instead of spell known and changes insperation?

no, it stays the 2014 one, because it is the 2014 class granting it, simple
so then what about spells, does the bard from 2014 get the 2014 spells and the 2024 one get teh 2024 one? what about conditions and feats?

if the bard and teh cleric both take teh same feat but they are diffrent freom edition to... sorry version to version what one gets what feat? can they learn each other's feats? can they be double lucky?

mamba

Legend
so again... that is what I said. I can't bring the 2014 PHB and play in a 2024 without house ruleing over the changes..
you are not houseruling over the changes, you use the 2024 rules when it comes to common rules like exhaustion and leave the 2014 char untouched

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
so then what about spells, does the bard from 2014 get the 2014 spells and the 2024 one get teh 2024 one? what about conditions and feats?
I’d say 2014 spells, 2024 conditions (not class specific…), 2014 feats. If you do it differently that is ok too, but houseruling to me

if the bard and teh cleric both take teh same feat but they are diffrent freom edition to... sorry version to version what one gets what feat? can they learn each other's feats? can they be double lucky?
no they cannot learn each others feats, no they cannot be double lucky

Amrûnril

Adventurer
If I bring the 2014phb to a game called 5e I expect that I can use it (with maybe some house rules). I however (based on what we have seen) in 2024 will need to choose what version of 5e I am playing... and the choice will be on the table. 2014 or 2024, or some mix where you do something like this rule from 2014 and that rule from 2024...

I can't run 2 characters useing the 2014 exhaustion rules and 2 useing the 2024 any more then I can run a TORG character next to my 3.5 character...
if you have a bard useinng the 2014 rules and a cleric useing the 2024 rules and the cleric gets a bardic insperation does it change to the 2024 one?
As I see it, compatibility isn't about building a character with the 2014 PHB and then playing the entire game using the 2014 rules. It's about building a character with the 2014 PHB and having the abilities on the character sheet function under the 2024 rules.

If a player has 2014 bardic inspiration recorded on their character sheet, that ability continues to work as written. If the character suffers a level of exhaustion, it works according to the overall game's exhaustion rules.

These are very simple questions for a conversion document or DM to address. And while I think some of the possible answers are better than others, none of them would keep the game from functioning.

if you have a bard useinng the 2014 rules and a cleric useing the 2024 rules and the cleric gets a bardic insperation does it change to the 2024 one?
I think basically everyone would agree that the rules of class features run with the class granting them, not whatever class happens to be in the same PHB as the class of the character receiving them. It is a 2014 Bard class feature that grants that particular bardic inspiration, not a 2024 Bard one. The two are effectively different classes that just have the same name and similar features, so you follow the rules of the Bard player's 2014 class for inspiration they grant. Pretty straightforward.

At least that's what people will generally agree until Jeremy Crawford tweets some counter-intuitive nonsense saying you use the Cleric's edition's rules.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
rules, sure, but do you need to adjust difficulty, are the monsters using the same type of statblock, … i.e. do you need to make any changes, and how many
They're not going to make any given monster more or less powerful, so the statblock doesn't matter. That's why they said it was backwards compatible with adventures.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
yup and there it is.. the beginnings of the edition split
Sure. I just don't see it as a problem. Most players will likely go on to buy and use the new books. WotC is making this easy. From what I've seen so far, it doesn't feel like I'm having to learn a whole new game and I like most of what I've seen so far.

But maybe I won't. I'm thinking my next campaign will be DCC Dying Earth. It won't be because One D&D drove me away, but rather I want to try running something else for a while.

Strictly speaking, if even one person sticks with an older version, there is a "split". I just don't see the updated books causing some major schism that will much of any negative impact for WotC, D&D, or the hobby as a whole.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
By late 2025, I predict everyone will be back to fighting about alignments and warlock patrons again, rather than over some deep and abiding rift between 5E and 1D&D.
I appreciate your optimism that that an edition change would ever stop us from arguing about alignment. :) Edition wars come and go, the alignment wars are always and forever.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads