D&D 5E Does anyone who got an mm at Gencon want to offer up spoilers to us?

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Truesight 120 ft

The modron can't be compelled to act in a manner contrary to its nature or it's instructions.

No damage resistance or immunities.

Right on, thanks a bunch. Surprising they have no resistances or immunities, not even any Condition Immunities (like charmed, exhausted, or frightened)?

Seems like they cut down on immunities and resistances since the playtest (and the playtest Pit Fiend is better than the MM one).

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Right on, thanks a bunch. Surprising they have no resistances or immunities, not even any Condition Immunities (like charmed, exhausted, or frightened)?

Seems like they cut down on immunities and resistances since the playtest (and the playtest Pit Fiend is better than the MM one).

I would treat axiomatic mind as almost immunity to charmed, frightened, and other mind altering spells or conditions. They can't be compelled to act in a manner other than their nature or instructions. If they instructions are to attack the PCs and the wizard casts charm person, I'd have the Modron roll a save. If it fails the save, and the PC tells it to do anything other than attack the PCs, that doesn't work. In the same combat if the warlock makes a Modron frightened, the Modron might go after a different target first, but if the warlock and the frightened Modron are the last two standing, the Modron will advance toward the warlock. It can't be compelled to act in a manner contrary to its instructions.

As I think about it, like it. It's not immunity, but the players have to be creative about how they use mind affecting spells. The wizard who cast charm could tell the Modron to attack the fighter first. He could probably tell a modron to stop using javelins and advance to mêlée range, if that was a problem.

Thaumaturge.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
I would treat axiomatic mind as almost immunity to charmed, frightened, and other mind altering spells or conditions. They can't be compelled to act in a manner other than their nature or instructions. If they instructions are to attack the PCs and the wizard casts charm person, I'd have the Modron roll a save. If it fails the save, and the PC tells it to do anything other than attack the PCs, that doesn't work. In the same combat if the warlock makes a Modron frightened, the Modron might go after a different target first, but if the warlock and the frightened Modron are the last two standing, the Modron will advance toward the warlock. It can't be compelled to act in a manner contrary to its instructions.

Oh, the trait is called Axiomatic Mind, not Resist Compulsion?

You're right, it is basically a form of immunity to charm/fear, but they lost all resistances they had in 3rd Ed, no acid, cold, fire resistance; oh, do they have telepathy 120 ft.?

Thaumaturge

Oh, the trait is called Axiomatic Mind, not Resist Compulsion?

You're right, it is basically a form of immunity to charm/fear, but they lost all resistances they had in 3rd Ed, no acid, cold, fire resistance; oh, do they have telepathy 120 ft.?

Doesn't look like it.

Thaumaturge.

Thaumaturge

Question: Any new story background on Slaad? Or are they still crazy spawning frog monsters without much depth?

I don't know how much of this is new. They are, in fact crazy spawning frog monsters. They originate from a Spawning Stone the modron Primus cast into Limbo. As such, they hate modrons and will attack them on sight.

And they've still got the ability to lay eggs in your chest.

Thaumaturge.

Remove ads