D&D (2024) Does the concept of subspecies of Elves come across as racist to you

Does the concept of subspecies of Elves come across as racist to you?

• Yes, having subspecies of elves comes across as racist to me

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • No, having subspecies of elves does not comes across as racist to me

Votes: 114 85.7%
  • Lemon Curry?

Votes: 11 8.3%

• Poll closed .

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
No but I am not sure that this question has any meaning out of context.
In my opinion, the issue with race in D&D has been that all races have been defined by a couple of characteristics that universally apply.
Some of these characteristics could be, of the type "in the nature of the beast" like Darkvision.
There is nothing racially problematic about a race having darkvision or pointy ears.
On the other hand, the entire race being of a single alignment and/or being a blacksmith or some other feature that is most likely an outcome of culture rather than breeding is problematic.

Yaarel

He Mage
The problem of separate mechanics for separate subspecies is, it mechanically enforces racial segregation.

For example, what are stats for an Elf whose parents are a Drow Elf and an Eladrin Elf? The lack of mechanics means that this doesnt exist. The mechanics imply that intermarriage between different ethnicities is forbidden. The elven ethnicities are segregated from each other.

Having subspecies within any humanlike species comes across as racist.

The problem of separate mechanics for separate subspecies is, it mechanically enforces racial segregation.

For example, what are stats for an Elf whose parents are Drow Elf and Eladrin Elf? The mechanics imply that this never happens, and intermarriage between different ethnicities is forbidden.

Subspecies within a humanlike species comes across as racist.
All elves share the same traits for age, size, speed, Darkvision, Trance and Fey Ancestry. The only traits that do differ are cultural traits.

aco175

Legend
I'm guessing the OP is asking about half-elves over high elves or wood elves? I have no problem with all of them. I can see some races being able to mix with other races to make a half something. Half-elf or half-orc is fine with me.

The new 5e coming out with picking your parent and getting one feature is fine as well. It might lead to less than more but might solve some of the problems being brought up.

Yaarel

He Mage
All elves share the same traits for age, size, speed, Darkvision, Trance and Fey Ancestry. The only traits that do differ are cultural traits.
If Eladrin traits and Drow traits are cultural, then the child of an intermarriage between them would learn features from both cultures.

Remove ads