Does Your Group Allow Homebrew or 3PP Material for D&D Games?

Mine does, although so far we haven't actually used any, other than a couple of minor tweaks to the core material for flavor's sake. A few items were brought up and discussed and we said we'd try them out, but then they were never followed up on. So although right now everything in our game is from the core material, we're totally open to the possibility of 3rd party or homebrew material.

Mine does, although so far we haven't actually used any, other than a couple of minor tweaks to the core material for flavor's sake. A few items were brought up and discussed and we said we'd try them out, but then they were never followed up on.

So although right now everything in our game is from the core material, we're totally open to the possibility of 3rd party or homebrew material.

I am absolutely blown away by how high the no votes are. I can't comprehend never having a single home-brew magic item or monster in a game, never tweaking a class, race or background to better fit a campaign world or a style of play. Especially in 5e with such a wide balancing point.

And Tome of Beasts is an amazing supplement for a DM.
This board skews old. We’re mostly established players who have been playing for years. Quite a few of us remember the problems of 3PP in the 3rd Edition days, and are gun shy of a repeat.

They're probably from AL players.
I doubt that.
AL makes up a surprisingly small percentage of players. And I’ve seldom seen people here actually say they play in the AL.
AL also tends to skew toward new players and casual players without regular groups, which also doesn’t seem like the audience here.

Tallifer

Hero
I will add that I usually only allow players whom I have known for some time and come to trust and understand to bring third party stuff to my table.

Last edited by a moderator:

5ekyu

Hero
I am absolutely blown away by how high the no votes are. I can't comprehend never having a single home-brew magic item or monster in a game, never tweaking a class, race or background to better fit a campaign world or a style of play. Especially in 5e with such a wide balancing point.

And Tome of Beasts is an amazing supplement for a DM.

My current 5e game runs Esper genesis scyfy so... my answer is duh.

But i would say this - i do not and did not when i voted consider say GM monsters "homebrew" as adjusting monsters, making new ones and so on is part of the game and covered in the DMG and MM and others.

i would have ready the question as "do you bring in published 3rd party products" mostly.

Let me say that for games i run, whatever products are permitted is defined for all at the start. Any 3pp added in willl be specific to the theme and setting for the game and style we have agreed on.

Adding any new products to the game - player classes, spells, etc etc - after play begins requires unanimous agreement.

Eseentially, we no longer go in for the "hunt for the gizmo in the latest product from anyone who can sell a PDF on drivethru" gameplay experience.

jgsugden

Legend
The thread is two years old. The perspectives are dated. People that did not allow 3rd party or homebrew materials then may have changed their tune.

We've had a plague of people responding to extremely old threads as if they were just posted recently. It creates a lot of false impressions.

Remove ads

Remove ads