Does Your Group Allow Homebrew or 3PP Material for D&D Games?

Mine does, although so far we haven't actually used any, other than a couple of minor tweaks to the core material for flavor's sake. A few items were brought up and discussed and we said we'd try them out, but then they were never followed up on. So although right now everything in our game is from the core material, we're totally open to the possibility of 3rd party or homebrew material.

Mine does, although so far we haven't actually used any, other than a couple of minor tweaks to the core material for flavor's sake. A few items were brought up and discussed and we said we'd try them out, but then they were never followed up on.

So although right now everything in our game is from the core material, we're totally open to the possibility of 3rd party or homebrew material.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Inspired by some of the threads going around. Pretty simple question. In your gaming group (not a pick up game with people you don't know, and Adventurers League is excluded for obvious reasons), do you allow any sort of third party D&D material or homebrew material? Or does your group stick with official rules as written, published by WotC only?

Attachments

• 48cb5349f515f6e59edc2a4de294f439.png
    48cb5349f515f6e59edc2a4de294f439.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 7,645

Sacrosanct

Legend
To answer my own poll, the answer is yes. Less 3PP, and more homebrew. I DM probably 2/3 of the time, and if a player wants a concept that isn't RAW and it fits within the game world as a possibility, I typically review it, talk with the player to get a consensus, and allow it. 3PP material I definitely review first. Even though I tell the players that they are expected to know exactly how the class/race/etc works since I won't memorize the ins and outs of it, I do review it for any glaring issues.

The_Gneech

Explorer
In my last game, it was all RAW, using the pregens from the Starter Set, and everybody was fine with it. This wasn't any kind of a formal group decision, it was just how things ended up.

In my current game, a couple of the players wanted some pretty out-there stuff (3pp races, mostly), so we had to wrangle around to get it into a balanced form, but we ended up with stuff that everyone liked and so far it's been fine. :)

-The Gneech :cool:

Greg K

Legend
I am not running or playing 5e. In 3e, I and other DMs whom I know used third party material. In fact, actually, used/allowed much more 3rd party supplements than WOTC supplements.

If I were to run 5e, it looks to follow the same pattern. At the moment, I might allow a few WOTC supplemental spells and backgrounds. In contrast, I would be using several things from Kobold Press. I would also be using
a) from EN Posters: [MENTION=2167]Khaalis[/MENTION] (Light Armored Fighter variant posted on this site), several things from David Gibson (a.k.a, [MENTION=37579]Jester David[/MENTION] here on ENWorld), a few things from [MENTION=2067]I'm A Banana[/MENTION] (his conversions of the 2e Complete [X] Handbook), and a few other items that I have found here;
b) material from the websites Forgot My Dice, Giants in the Playground, Natural Crit's Homebrewery;
c) some DM's Guild offerings including material from Joshua Raynack (Alea Publishing), David Noonan (former WOTC employee);
d) I would be looking at DMG Guild material that caught my eye from David Moore, Mathew Mercer, Joe Karpathian (Pantheon series), Diegobastet (3 Archetypes series), Sterlling Vermin, and TheLe, because some of their stuff looks like it might be useful for my campaign. I am sure there are some others that I might find interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Aince the game I currently DM is designed for players new to RPGs, we run strictly PHB. If I ever run my homebrew worlds, I have baked in Matt Mercer's Gunslinger class (dwarves only) and likely would allow his Bloodhunter class and Maestro bard. He seems very balanced. Other than that, I'm not sure I am confident in my own ability to evaluate 3PP/homebrew and would take some convincing to allow it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

MiraMels

Explorer
My group uses its own homebrew, but no third-party stuff. So far just races, but I'm working on a demi-caster bard, and another from our group is working on Interaction/Exploration spells and new rituals.

knast

First Post
Homebrew* yes, third party support no.

*As in we play in the DMs' own worlds with the odd made up item here and there.

One_Shots

First Post
I won't allow it and I probably never will. There are enough problems with the core classes that have been playtested and gone through a rigorous design process. 3e taught me not to trust TPP and nothing has changed since then given the exceptionally low quality of content on DM's Guild.

Remove ads

Remove ads