• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Don't Throw 5e Away Because of Hasbro

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
Agreed, in the sense that the 5.1 SRD will always be useful to creators (just like older SRD's), but I meant to say that it will become obsolete for 3pp's who choose to stick with one-dnd in the future, IF, they release a new restrictive license like with 4e.
I don't think so. I think publishers can continue to publish awesome 5e-compatible material that still works with the 2024 D&D books if the playtests are any indication. But we'll see.

The biggest competitor for D&D 2024 is D&D 2014.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
That's a good thought. This whole thread might go over a little better if it was phrased more as, "Hey, want to show WotC that you're displeased with them while still playing the game that you love? Try 5E by all the fine folks that make 3P publications! They love the game as much as you do, and they treat their customers with respect!"

There's something I can get behind.

(You know, other than that I own a FLGS and it's a LOT easier for me to get my hands on WotC stuff than many of the best 3PP, but I do my best to carry what I can, when I can!)
That's not my intention with the thread. If people are happy with D&D, I don't want to get in their way. I know others don't want to support them and others still don't want other people to not support them – that's not me. I completely understand those who don't want to support them and I can also completely understand those who want to keep playing D&D.

But for those who don't want to support Hasbro and still love 5e – there are lots of awesome options. Don't throw 5e away because you don't like Hasbro. That's the message I'm trying to speak.

mamba

Legend
  1. As @MichaelSomething said, designing to be hands or and disorganized for DM is order to not feel like they are telling or teaching DMs how to play
this I can see, let's see if the new DMG does a better job of this

1. Not exploring new class ideas that developed in fantasy in the last 2 decades
  2. No exploring new settings that that developed in fantasy in the last 2 decades
  3. Half assing attempts to appeal to new tropes (beastmasters, ATLA, dragonborn, tactical combat)
  4. Heavily focus on reflavoring rather than exploring mechanics which match flavor
WOTC more or less left the "younger people stuff" to 3PP but the community mostly doesn't see 3PP product. So it comes off as a remake of Grandpa's favorite blockbuster sitcom.
which 3pps have such classes? Maybe I am too grognard myself, but I am not sure what new classes popped up in the last twenty years or so that you are missing ;)

As to new settings, I am not expecting that in the core books, but some more variety in adventure and setting books would not hurt. As it stands however, they are already supporting the ones they have below a bare minimum (outside of FR)

mamba

Legend
'm not going to be boycotting WotC or D&D 5E at the moment, but my enthusiasm for new WotC products has waned due to the many missteps they've made as a company this year. I'm curious about the new alt-5E rulesets coming out this year including Kobold's Tales of the Valiant. I'm very excited about Cubicle 7's Broken Weave (or C7d20)
same, I will certainly take a look at those two, whether I also get the 2024 books is tbd, maybe, but I am not particularly excited for them, too little change on the PHB side at a minimum

mamba

Legend
Its kinda like they can't win for changing things OR keeping them the same...
yes, they cannot, that is what happens when you want to attract a large audience instead of aiming straight at one or the other. Not that they should do that, but it does mean you end up sitting between the chairs

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The biggest competitor for D&D 2024 is D&D 2014.
The biggest competitor to everything in the 5e space is D&D 2014.

WOTC and every 3PP has to create stuff that the DMs and tables either can't quickly create themselves, explain themselves, or lack time to do it.

One of the things that allows people to ignore official or unofficial product is if they can replicate in an at least slightly below average standard themselves for free. And if it happens too much, it can allow they to ditch the game completely if fed up with the IP holder. Random charts, new simplistic monsters, and tame subclasses don't take too much time to make in a slightly above passing grade. It's gottae worth that $30-70 book.

This is what makes products like Enworld's A5E and MCDM's Flee Mortals so good for the edition and good for the community as they provide real additions to 5e which truly feel worth your time and money to keep you in the game sphere.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
That's not my intention with the thread.
That's fair.

If people are happy with D&D, I don't want to get in their way. I know others don't want to support them and others still don't want other people to not support them – that's not me. I completely understand those who don't want to support them and I can also completely understand those who want to keep playing D&D.
Yeah, okay. Makes sense, and is also how I feel about it.

But for those who don't want to support Hasbro and still love 5e – there are lots of awesome options. Don't throw 5e away because you don't like Hasbro. That's the message I'm trying to speak.
Yeah, okay. I'm sold!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads