• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Don't Throw 5e Away Because of Hasbro

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
which 3pps have such classes? Maybe I am too grognard myself, but I am not sure what new classes popped up in the last twenty years or so that you are missing ;)
That's the point buddy.

5th editions as a community should have been one supported the official Artificer, Mercer's Blood Hunter, MCDM's Illrigger, and ENP's Marshal all as widel supported community options with officially partnered and homebrew subclasses and other class content (items, variants, etc).

People should be saying "In my world, there are no Illriggers. Sorry. Here is comthing that's kinda close to that feeling." instead of "What's a Illrigger?"

Why are we quibbling over how large a problem this is? How many folks are upset with WotC, and willing to abandon playing 5E as a result? Dozens? Hundreds? Thousands? Millions?
I'm just confused as to the nature of the problem exactly. The OP makes it sound like there are people who are throwing away their 2014 PHB because they can't bear to see the mark of Hasbro on it, which seems implausible.

Whereas...

But for those who don't want to support Hasbro and still love 5e – there are lots of awesome options. Don't throw 5e away because you don't like Hasbro. That's the message I'm trying to speak.
This is a lot more clear, actually. You are talking to people who still want to buy new 5e content, or even just get into 5e for the first time, without material supporting hasbro.

mamba

Legend
That's the point buddy.

5th editions as a community should have been one supported the official Artificer, Mercer's Blood Hunter, MCDM's Illrigger, and ENP's Marshal all as widel supported community options with officially partnered and homebrew subclasses and other class content (items, variants, etc).

People should be saying "In my world, there are no Illriggers. Sorry. Here is comthing that's kinda close to that feeling." instead of "What's a Illrigger?"
oh, you mean specific 3pp classes that did pop up. I thought you were talking about archetypes that D&D does not support but possibly some 3pp do in their version of the PHB , along the lines of

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
oh, you mean specific 3pp classes that did pop up. I thought you were talking about archetypes that D&D does not support but possibly some 3pp do in their version of the PHB , along the lines of

Oh there are archetypes that D&D does not support and weren't covered by 3PPs in heavy promotion.

I mean,there is a D&D movie with a spell-less bard and a spell-less druid with "infinite" wildshapes. WOTC neither captured that wave with new classes nor official variant rules for those new icons. And I can't think of any 3PP that capitalized on it either.

Dire Bare

Legend
The OP makes it sound like there are people who are throwing away their 2014 PHB because they can't bear to see the mark of Hasbro on it, which seems implausible.
Yes, there are folks doing exactly that. Ditching D&D 5E altogether because they are annoyed at Hasbro.

How many? Who cares. Some. Enough in SlyFlourish's orbit that he was moved to start a thread about it. Enough WotC should get concerned about it? Eh, probably not.

Mike isn't advocating for folks to boycott WotC or stop buying official D&D products . . . he's just saying, if you don't want to purchase or use official D&D 5E books anymore, you can still play this wonderful game. And he's right.

If your gaming group, or you personally, is so peeved at WotC that you are seriously considering ditching D&D 5E altogether and try something different . . . that's okay, but you shouldn't feel like you have to do so to stick it to WotC. Invest in Level Up, Tales of the Valiant or Fateforge. Or sure, use the opportunity to try out a different RPG you've had your eye on, maybe Shadowdark.

If your group isn't really even aware of the shenanigans WotC's been up to this past year, or doesn't care and is just fine continuing to play using the official rulebooks . . . that's fine too.

If you are somewhere in the middle, or undecided, that's okay too. It's all good. But D&D is no longer just a WotC thing, as long as you're comfy using books without the official ampersand logo on them.

pablomaz

Villager
if it were the ultimate TTRPG, there would be no ‘5e movement’

this is entirely a matter of personal preference
It sure is. There are people who somehow think that 5e is great for everything, people who think 5e is the best D&D edition, people who think there are better D&D editions, but, mostly, there are people who know no other thing. And they are a perfect match with the first group - specially the ones trying to sell you 5e stuff.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I think the core of what @SlyFlourish and others have been reminding us is that all that matters is the game at our table. That's been true since Gary and Dave first brought this journey forward and it continues to this day.

Don't like Hasbro but like the modern version of the game? Play alternate versions of that edition!
Like the game as it was in the 80s? Play OSR/E to keep it simple or those convoluted rules we had back then!
See a gap in the system? Fill it at the table and maybe even fill it on the internet.

The games we play, at our tables, are only owned by those at our table.

Last edited:

Clint_L

Legend
Why not see them as their own awesome independent 5e games that happen to also be compatible with D&D? Let's move D&D and Hasbro out of the hub and into one of the spokes.
To me, and I suspect to most people, that just seems counterintuitive. WotC created 5e, and D&D is, by orders of magnitude, the main vehicle for it in terms of popularity. I get what you are trying to do - re-brand 5e away from D&D and trying to attach the D&D brand to Hasbro instead of WotC - but that runs counter to how most people experience the system. For most people, 5e and D&D are functionally the same thing.

Like, when I visualize a hub, that's where I imagine the bulk of the players being. Not in one of the spokes.

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
There’s very few companies in this world that aren’t beholden to at least someone. If it’s not a parent company like Hasbro, it’s shareholders, an investment company, landlord or just the bank.

It very much appears to me that since the OGL about face, there is a section of the community for whom nothing WotC do will ever be right. spurred on a fed by click-bait YouTube commentators that make a fast buck stirring outrage and shock to get views.

On pretty much every ‘scandal’ - read ‘thing some folks don’t like’ - involving WotC, the fanbase has gotten what the majority seemed to want. OGL confirmed and expanded, new edition scaled back to a 5.05, AI art banned. Y’all don’t know when to take a win.

I mean I know everyone likes the underdog, and clearly WotC isn’t one of the those, but you would think that the explosion of the hobby - and the number of smaller companies, publishers, writers, artists, commentaries, live streamers and fans that have benefited symbiotically from WotC - means we would show a little less hate and a tad more goodwill.

In 30 years of playing the game it’s never been easier to get a session of D&D in. There are people asking me about it all the time, I’ve had three new groups spring up in the last 4-5 years. We’ve got more tools than we every had, more art, more beautiful maps, more publishers, more relaxed copyright, more online support. Do you honestly think that 20 years ago, individual fans would have been able to publish an adventure or sourcebook set in Ravenloft IP or Forgotten Realms and not get sued into the ground. These are salad days for D&D not Rome burning.

The most frustrating thing for me are the many many folks in the thread who have already openly said they don’t and won’t play 5e jumping on the bandwagon. Adding to the furore but actually contributing anything other than more outrage and hate. The continual negativity on the boards about WotC (and to a lesser extent companies in general) is starting to get really wearing.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads