D&D 5E Dragon Age Categories: The Poll!

What Dragon Age Category do you prefer

• Option #1, Some old w/ some new: 9 age categories (see below).

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • Option #2, Retro: 8 age categories (see below).

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • Option #3, Classic: 12 age categories (see below)

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • Option #4, Neo: 5 age categories (see below)

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Option #5, Modern: 4 age categories (see below)

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Option #6, Modern Twist: 4 + 4 (see below)

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Option #7, Retro Twist: 8 + 1 (see below)

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Option #9, Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 8.2%

dave2008

Legend
I don't think we need more age categories. In fact remove the wyrmling. Killing baby dragons is gross and also every dragon should be an utter menace, So lowest level ones being CR 10ish is fine.
I get that. I typically only feature mature dragons, but still like the diversity of stat blocks for those who like to take on dragons at different levels and just for world building. I did have my PCs stubble into a black dragon nest once and need some very young dragons once.

Also, if one wants more categories, then it feels redundant to duplicate them for each type of a dragon. So instead of having 'young red dragon,' adult black dragon' etc. just have say ten dragon stat blocks of different power, and then a sidebar for giving them the type specific breath weapons, resistances and such.
Oh,I diagree completely with this. The different power levels and abilities need to be emphasized not reduced. 4e did this better than 5e and I plan to bring some of that back. A 10 CR black dragon should feel very different from a 10 CR red dragon IMO.

I liked the 8+1 myself. Doing ancient as Mythic makes sense to me, but the 4+4 seemed really silly - I get how it works rules-wise do do that, but it doesn't work thematically and sort of devalues Mythic (which doesn't have to only be on high-end monsters, but shouldn't be something you grow in and out of).

dave2008

Legend
I liked the 8+1 myself. Doing ancient as Mythic makes sense to me, but the 4+4 seemed really silly - I get how it works rules-wise do do that, but it doesn't work thematically and sort of devalues Mythic (which doesn't have to only be on high-end monsters, but shouldn't be something you grow in and out of).
I started with 8+1 and it is probably still my favorite, but I am flip-flopping all over the place at the moment.

Remove ads