Dragonlance Dragonlance: Is it possible to run a Dragonlance game using the current core rules and material?

pkt77242

Explorer
I was actually thinking about making a "Knight of Solamnia" subclass for the fighter. The subclass would contain three choices, Knight of the Crown, Sword, or Rose. Now the trick with the Knights of Solamnia is the fact that they weren't magical, in traditional D&D terms, except for the Knights of the Rose who had been known to be able to cast divine spells. I am working on a mechanic around the Oath and the Measure that all Knights of Solamnia adhere to. I'm trying to make the subclass be able to inspire, protect others, and have protections vs things like fear without making it a magical class. I am also going to base the subclass around the famous armour that is a big part of the Knights. The subclass will also be restricted to Lawful Good.

I am pretty sure that the Knights of the Sword were the spellcasters.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I am pretty sure that the Knights of the Sword were the spellcasters.

Crown and Sword were not spellcasters. Now I think the 3rd edition DL campaign guide had them that way, but originally it was just Knights of the Rose.

Edit: Sorry I think you are right. I think some were warrior-clerics.

Corpsetaker

First Post
So maybe the Knight of the Crown could be someone who has abilities that could be considered special.

Knights of the Sword could be 1/3 casters while Knights of the Rose could be 1/2 casters.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The SCAG suggests using the Purple Dragon Knight Fighter subclass as Solamanic Knights in Dragonlance; Kender/Draconians as Halflings/Dragonborn probably works. Use older ed rules to do the Wizards of High Sorcery should be doable.

People have been playing 5E Dragonlance games at this point for some time, I believe.

MarkB

Legend
I was actually thinking about making a "Knight of Solamnia" subclass for the fighter. The subclass would contain three choices, Knight of the Crown, Sword, or Rose. Now the trick with the Knights of Solamnia is the fact that they weren't magical, in traditional D&D terms, except for the Knights of the Rose who had been known to be able to cast divine spells. I am working on a mechanic around the Oath and the Measure that all Knights of Solamnia adhere to. I'm trying to make the subclass be able to inspire, protect others, and have protections vs things like fear without making it a magical class. I am also going to base the subclass around the famous armour that is a big part of the Knights. The subclass will also be restricted to Lawful Good.

You could pretty much do that with a Paladin and just say that their abilities are non-magical. Remove the spellcasting, but leave them the spell slots, restricting them to only be used by burning them for Divine Smite.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yes just put some restrictions in. No Paladins unless you are a member of the right order (Crown, Rose, Sklull etc)

The Knights of Takhis for example could be evil avengers Paladins and Eldritch Knights.

So if you want to be an EK you have to be a member of those orders.

So ban some certain classes and races, restrict a few others. Use arhetypes for generic sclasses, put some restrictions on certain archtypes.

Generic Paladin is devotions. Avenger Paladins requires certain military orders to join. Maybe bring back alignment restrictions as well so all Paladins have to be LG, if you want an evil one you have to be a member of Takhisis Knights.

Same thing if you want a purple Dragon Knight fighter- not available to the average adventurer.

This advice only being good up to Draogns of Summer Flame . I would just convert Draconians and not allow Dragonborn as PC race along with things like Drow, Half Orcs etc.

seebs

Adventurer
I'm having trouble understanding the question. Could someone give me an example of a thing that could conceivably prevent you from running anything you wanted that was sort of fantasy-setting-ish with the rules and material? Obviously, you might have to add material for a setting, but that's sort of common to pretty much every setting.

It should be relatively easy to do. MarkB's idea is very good. Only sword knight could actualy use spells all other knights would simply use their slots to smite.

Kender's taunt ability isn't too powerful. Just give them a taunt ability with the side effect of angering the target and forcing it to attack the kender or all other enemies at disadvantage on its first attack only. Could be used at will or refresh on a short rest.

Draconians should not be players and should be converted to 5ed stats. Not too much of a work if you have the original adventures and supplements.

Wizards of high sorcery could be translated into 5ed in two ways. Either restricts schools to certain robes. Or simply make up three more wizard path. Both ways are viable. The phases of the moons should still affect wizards as they used to. The spell casting habilities of the different robes are an other matter but it could be worked out as spell bonuses to certain levels.

All in all it shouldn't be that hard.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It's totally possible to run Dragonlance with what we have now.

Wizards of high sorcery can just use the standard wizard subclasses restricting some to specific orders: abjuration/divination (white); illusion/transmutation (red); necromancy/enchantment (black). Conjuration or evocation can be taken by any of the orders. If a white robe abjured changes to a red robe, I would require them to change their tradition to one which is allowable for a red robe. The high sorcerer joins an order at 2nd level now instead of 4th.

Knights of Solamnia can be put together in a variety of, however, I think it might be easiest to allow sword and rose knights from level one instead of having them multiclass when joining the other orders. Crown knights would be your basic fighter class. Sword/Rose Knights would be paladins. Of course you could say that they are all paladins and then create the knights of Solamnia faction with higher faction ranks allowing you to join the higher orders.

For races, I would use rock gnomes as the tinker gnomes, the half ling can be the kender. A Minotaur came out in the early UA articles. High elves track to the silvanesti and qualinesti while wood elves would be the kagonesti.

Depending on the time your playing, you may wish to restrict some classes or make some fluff changes. Bards being the most problematic, their magic would have to either be divine or they would have to be restricted from choosing healing spells as that is the magic of the gods. They would also be hunted by the orders of high sorcery. In the age of mortals then bards tap into the power of the heart so it won't be so problematic.

All I can think of at the moment, but it is definitely possible to run a Dragonlance game in current 5e.

Remove ads