Dragonlance Dragonlance: Is it possible to run a Dragonlance game using the current core rules and material?

Let me have a look at my Dragonlance modules... Raistlin is a wizard... Sturm is a fighter... Goldmoon is a cleric... Tas is a thief... mh... you could do this with just the Basic Rules!

Knights of Solamnia, wizards of the (insert color) robes, and cleric of the order of the stars are just titles. No need to tie a class to it. Who's to say that my Ranger is not a knight?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Is it worth converting the phases of the moon rules? Instead of caster levels bonus or penalty to caster slots?
It could be. I've looked at a couple of ways of doing moon magic. One was just an effect which altered the number of spell levels a wizard could get back with arcane recovery. Another was an idea someone else had where the moon phases gave virtual intelligence points that only affected spellcasting DC/attack modifier and number of spells prepared.

Zardnaar

Legend
It could be. I've looked at a couple of ways of doing moon magic. One was just an effect which altered the number of spell levels a wizard could get back with arcane recovery. Another was an idea someone else had where the moon phases gave virtual intelligence points that only affected spellcasting DC/attack modifier and number of spells prepared.

Apart from available races and classes the mmon thing seems to be one fo the few mechanical things exclusive to DL.

I only have the 2E DL boxed set so not sure what people want from the 3E version or how restrictive they want the game. DL was never a sandbox though so personally I favour some things to fit the setting.

Lanliss

Explorer
I was actually thinking about making a "Knight of Solamnia" subclass for the fighter. The subclass would contain three choices, Knight of the Crown, Sword, or Rose. Now the trick with the Knights of Solamnia is the fact that they weren't magical, in traditional D&D terms, except for the Knights of the Rose who had been known to be able to cast divine spells. I am working on a mechanic around the Oath and the Measure that all Knights of Solamnia adhere to. I'm trying to make the subclass be able to inspire, protect others, and have protections vs things like fear without making it a magical class. I am also going to base the subclass around the famous armour that is a big part of the Knights. The subclass will also be restricted to Lawful Good.

Sounds like you basically need a Spell-less paladin, but one of the subclasses get spells. I would not know how to do this, off the top of my jead, but I am sure someone on here could help you out.

Zardnaar

Legend
Sounds like you basically need a Spell-less paladin, but one of the subclasses get spells. I would not know how to do this, off the top of my jead, but I am sure someone on here could help you out.

SCAG literally says the PDK can be used to represent a Knight of Solamnia.

Lanliss

Explorer
SCAG literally says the PDK can be used to represent a Knight of Solamnia.

Yes, but that does not give three subclasses, one of which uses magic, which is what Corpsetaker said they were thinking.

Although, I suppose another alternative would be to have two of the Orders under fighter subclasses, while the last is under Paladin.

stoloc

First Post
Here is an idea for the wizards that I'd like to throw out.
Instead of actual wizards the WoHS are warlocks with the tome or maybe chain and the "patrons" instead of being fiend, fey, or goo are the three moons.

erl you could use a 5th edition mechanic.
maybe if the moon is positive for you all spells you cast are treated as if you used a spell slot one level higer.
and if the moon is bad for you aply the same efect but negative so during a bad moon you would onlu fire 2 magic missiles instead of 3 using a 1st level slot.

Remove ads