Dragonlance Dragonlance: Is it possible to run a Dragonlance game using the current core rules and material?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is it worth converting the phases of the moon rules? Instead of caster levels bonus or penalty to caster slots?

No. They were always pointless and added complexity with no added enjoyment to the game. Honestly, who ever gave a crap about the position of the moon?

ccs

41st lv DM
Sounds like you basically need a Spell-less paladin, but one of the subclasses get spells. I would not know how to do this, off the top of my jead, but I am sure someone on here could help you out.

The easiest way to play a spell-less ______ is to donothing.
Just completely ignore that particular class feature.
And don't go trying to add anything to compensate for not using the spells.

pkt77242

Explorer
The easiest way to play a spell-less ______ is to donothing.
Just completely ignore that particular class feature.
And don't go trying to add anything to compensate for not using the spells.

I completely disagree with this. It leads to unbalancing. Especially since a 1/2 caster is fair chunk of power.

I think the best way of quickly doing the "spell-less" paladin is to to just let them use the spell slots only for basic smites.

seebs

Adventurer
Are you familiar with Dragonlance?

Yes. I have pretty much the entire original run, even including the module that was actually a board game.

From your question, I infer that the answer is "no, no one can give me an example of a thing that would prevent you from running it", because presumably if there were a specific issue, you'd have given the example rather than asking an unrelated question.

discosoc

First Post
I personally dont think 5e works well with DL, especially if you want to play during the war of the lance. The setting is fairly low magic, and the heroic themes are more like honor and sacrifice in the face of an impossibly powerful enemy. 5e sets players up to be high powered fantasy super heroes, and just doesnt fit.

Corpsetaker

First Post
Yes. I have pretty much the entire original run, even including the module that was actually a board game. From your question, I infer that the answer is "no, no one can give me an example of a thing that would prevent you from running it", because presumably if there were a specific issue, you'd have given the example rather than asking an unrelated question.
Well we are five pages into this thread and everyone else seems fine with the question. Why are you the only one having trouble?

Henry

Autoexreginated
No. They were always pointless and added complexity with no added enjoyment to the game. Honestly, who ever gave a crap about the position of the moon?

I did, back in the 1e days - it was super fun for a while, but then got very tiring being sub-optimal in the middle of a dungeon. Nowadays we have plenty of mechanics to keep track of in our class features, and none of them involve planning around a monthly cycle. ;)

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Regarding playable character races in Dragonlance that do not have options in the 5e, other than the Minotaur, 13th Age has published two products converting player races to 5e rules.

Of interest as PC races on Krynn, Centaurs and Minotaurs are included in "Midgard Heroes for 5th Edition". These Minotaurs differ sufficiently from the Unearthed Arcana version to be intriguing, but not unbalanced.

You can download a pdg of that from such online sources as DriveThruRPG.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I can't speak for anyone else besides the people in my group, but when we play a specific world that contains unique elements, we like for there to be some reflection of those elements in the mechanics. It gives us more of a feeling that we are playing in that specific world.

Remove ads