Dragonlance DRAGONLANCE LIVES! Unearthed Arcana Explores Heroes of Krynn!

The latest Unearthed Arcana has arrived and the 6-page document contains rules for kender, lunar magic, Knights of Solamnia, and Mages of High Sorcery. In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options from the Dragonlance setting. This playtest document presents the kender race, the Lunar Magic sorcerer subclass, the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery backgrounds, and a...

The latest Unearthed Arcana has arrived and the 6-page document contains rules for kender, lunar magic, Knights of Solamnia, and Mages of High Sorcery.

Dragonlance.jpg

In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options from the Dragonlance setting. This playtest document presents the kender race, the Lunar Magic sorcerer subclass, the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery backgrounds, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons.

Kender have a (surprisingly magical) ability to pull things out of a bag, and a supernatural taunt feature. This magical ability appears to replace the older 'kleptomania' description -- "Unknown to most mortals, a magical phenomenon surrounds a kender. Spurred by their curiosity and love for trinkets, curios, and keepsakes, a kender’s pouches or pockets will be magically filled with these objects. No one knows where these objects come from, not even the kender. This has led many kender to be mislabeled as thieves when they fish these items out of their pockets."

Lunar Magic is a sorcerer subclass which draws power from the moon(s); there are notes for using it in Eberron.

Also included are feats such as Adepts of the Black, White, and Red Robes, and Knights of the Sword, Rose, and Crown.

And in the real life the firearms need a lot of maintenance (cleaning the dust within the canon everyday, for example). A simple spark, little as a match, in a explosives warehouse, or within the powder flask by the gunslinger, could cause a great damage. Or with low-level magic firearms could be cursed with bad precission. Have I said the idea of using illusory magic to create cover effects as the smoke grenades?

Or magic to create something like historical paper armour. It has a time limit, but enough in the battlefield for at least one hour.

* Firearms may break the power balance of the encounters. D20 system isn't designed for battles with elements from different technologic ages. Even litle children could test it, a group with nerf weapons, and others with foam swords.

* Players could ask alchemic version of products from the current age, for example a bulletproof jacket by graphene.

* Maybe there is a cultural taboo because using a firearm to fight would be dishonorable, and then the killed victim could return as ghost to take revengueance against the gunslinger.

* Undead, constructs, elementals and other no-living creatures are practically bulletproofs. And guns aren't too useful with the swarms.

Weiley31

Legend
f smokepowder (which is magical; 5e even establishes it can be destroyed by dispel magic

Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, p.192.

"Casting dispel magic on smokepowder renders it permanently inert."

I don't like the idea of Dispel Magic cancelling an entire weapon class. Regular black powder/gunpowder for me, thanks.

Probably, the gunpowder has a DC versus Dispel Magic, equivalent to a spell slot, depending on its quality by its creator.

Maybe so, but if it works, it still means your weapons are now useless.
I like the idea that there are adventurers/gun users/militia who basically makes modifications to their firearms to protect their Smokepowder from the effects of Dispell Magic. Sorta like Anti-Virus. Except, instead of the runes/enchantment/whatever protecting the computer, it's protecting the inner workings/frame/whatever of the gun.

Last edited:

Weiley31

Legend
This is how I prefer my guns to reload in Dungeons and Dragons. Of course, those would be the kind of reloads that are strictly Artificer/Magitek/Heroic Legendary firearms. The non-heroic versions would be the simple "whoops, let me get that powder and stick" slow reloads.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
And in the real life the firearms need a lot of maintenance (cleaning the dust within the canon everyday, for example). A simple spark, little as a match, in a explosives warehouse, or within the powder flask by the gunslinger, could cause a great damage. Or with low-level magic firearms could be cursed with bad precission. Have I said the idea of using illusory magic to create cover effects as the smoke grenades?

Or magic to create something like historical paper armour. It has a time limit, but enough in the battlefield for at least one hour.

* Firearms may break the power balance of the encounters. D20 system isn't designed for battles with elements from different technologic ages. Even litle children could test it, a group with nerf weapons, and others with foam swords.

* Players could ask alchemic version of products from the current age, for example a bulletproof jacket by graphene.

* Maybe there is a cultural taboo because using a firearm to fight would be dishonorable, and then the killed victim could return as ghost to take revengueance against the gunslinger.

* Undead, constructs, elementals and other no-living creatures are practically bulletproofs. And guns aren't too useful with the swarms.
I remember reading the Elenium, by David Eddings. The main character and several supporting characters are knights, and they often express disdain for the crossbow, as it's a nasty weapon that is accurate, easy to learn to use, and effective against their plate armor. Of course, this means it's "dishonorable".

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I remember reading the Elenium, by David Eddings. The main character and several supporting characters are knights, and they often express disdain for the crossbow, as it's a nasty weapon that is accurate, easy to learn to use, and effective against their plate armor. Of course, this means it's "dishonorable".
The funny thing is that, historically, Pope Urban II banned the use of crossbows.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The funny thing is that, historically, Pope Urban II banned the use of crossbows.
For precisely the reasons in that post, actually: one of the earliest preference for artisanal craftsmanship (killing with sword or spear) over mechanical efficiency, presaging the industrial revolution in a lot of ways.

Hussar

Legend
To be 100% honest, I'm not against the idea of guns in the game.

Actually, and going WAAAY off topic, I had an idea for my Ghosts of Saltmarsh campaign where they found an island near the Flotsom Islands where a huge number of mutated wyverns roosted. ((Sue me, I picked up a fantastic pdf where someone had done 5e stats for EVERY single monster in Monster Hunter)) That rolled back to the idea that dragon dung (or potentially dinosaur dung) could be used for making gunpowder.

Now you have an island that is FANTASTICALLY valuable - much like the islands where bad guano was found - resting in a place where several powerful nation states could take control of it. Great conflict and and I'm still really jonesing to do this for a campaign. Instead of just "poof, everyone has guns", be there at the very start where large scale gun production becomes possible.

Remove ads

Remove ads