Dragonlance DRAGONLANCE LIVES! Unearthed Arcana Explores Heroes of Krynn!

The latest Unearthed Arcana has arrived and the 6-page document contains rules for kender, lunar magic, Knights of Solamnia, and Mages of High Sorcery. In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options from the Dragonlance setting. This playtest document presents the kender race, the Lunar Magic sorcerer subclass, the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery backgrounds, and a...

The latest Unearthed Arcana has arrived and the 6-page document contains rules for kender, lunar magic, Knights of Solamnia, and Mages of High Sorcery.

Dragonlance.jpg

In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore character options from the Dragonlance setting. This playtest document presents the kender race, the Lunar Magic sorcerer subclass, the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery backgrounds, and a collection of new feats, all for use in Dungeons & Dragons.

Kender have a (surprisingly magical) ability to pull things out of a bag, and a supernatural taunt feature. This magical ability appears to replace the older 'kleptomania' description -- "Unknown to most mortals, a magical phenomenon surrounds a kender. Spurred by their curiosity and love for trinkets, curios, and keepsakes, a kender’s pouches or pockets will be magically filled with these objects. No one knows where these objects come from, not even the kender. This has led many kender to be mislabeled as thieves when they fish these items out of their pockets."

Lunar Magic is a sorcerer subclass which draws power from the moon(s); there are notes for using it in Eberron.

Also included are feats such as Adepts of the Black, White, and Red Robes, and Knights of the Sword, Rose, and Crown.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
They were experimenting with this even as far back as the 1e DMG, which has rules for "sixguns and sorcery", crossing D&D over with Boot Hill.

Attachments

• 1e.jpg
    1e.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 58

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
IMO, the two big problems with firearms/guns/gunpowder are:
1) To some players, they feel "out of genre" for D&D, even if they are modeled after authentic medieval weapons. If everyone in a group feels the same way, this can be a non-problem.
2) A harder problem to tackle is finding the right balance for guns in terms of combat. You want them to be useful/worthwhile to the player that chooses to use them, without overshadowing the non-gun weapons for the other players. Some pro-gun players want D&D guns to be nothing less than guns in 1980s action movies, never running out of ammo, blasting holes in everything and everyone, and knocking targets back 10 to 15 feet. Again, if everyone in the group likes that, have fun.

I don't really see a preference for or against firearms in D&D having anything to do with martial vs. magic. It's just asthetics, and a feeling that they should coexist, to me.

t's a good thing that the stats for guns in D&D have never made swords obsolete.

Y'all are missing the context of my comment. I didn't say anything about guns, and neither did the post that prompted it. It was specifically a denial that gunpowder in general had anything to do with the fighter vs wizard debate because in order for it to do so, it would have to invalidate what people like about fighters in the first place. Specifically, it would have to provide options so powerful that using the traditional D&D weapons would make no sense. I'm not saying that that's the case now or that there's no way to implement it in a way that it wouldn't. Just saying that the scenario in which it would be relevant to the debate is so absurd as to not be worth considering.

Lucky! I wouldn't discover Barsoom until the early 00s.

Just want to say, I was fortunate enough that one of my mom's friends had some old, well-read paperbacks of the John Carter series, and I totally loved the heck out of those stories. Kind of a shame Disney dropped the ball on the movie's advertising, it was decent.

The Tharks were one of the things I felt that the movie got right. Willem Dafoe and Samantha Morton's performances shine through the CGI, and you almost forget that there are no such things as Tharks.

The one with Willem Dafoe as a bug man!

Remove ads

Remove ads